• Announcements

• olyclimber

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  

[TR] Mt. Olympus - Hoh River approach 8/10/2014

Trip: Mt. Olympus - Hoh River approach

Date: 8/10/2014

Trip Report:

Myself and a group of friends from Vancouver Island summited Mt. Olympus last weekend. This was my second attempt. The first was 4 years ago in early May. Had to turn around at the lateral moraine above Blue Glacier due to poor conditions. This time around the conditions couldn't have been better.

We caught the 6 am Coho Ferry from Victoria and made it to the trail-head by noon. Instead of a marathon single push to Glacier Meadows like my 2010 trip, we hiked into 9 mile camp day 1 and then completed the final 8 mile approach to Glacier Meadows Saturday.

Sunday morning we left camp at 2:30 am under a full moon. Travel across the Blue Glacier, up onto the Snow Dome, through Crystal Pass and onto the summit by 9 am was straight-forward. Seems to me we were back to camp by noon or so and hiked back out to 9 mile camp later that afternoon and then out to the trail-head Monday morning.

Coho Ferry ride to Pt. Angles

Our "wee" group

Lateral moraine overlooking the Blue Glacier

Beautiful sunrise for us as we were cresting the Snowdome Sunday morning

The Autobahn rte was clearly out so we opted for the somewhat indirect, but pleasant Crystal Pass variation

Climbing the summit block was very straight-forward. Definitely a classic 5.4. I used a single nut and a 2" cam for protection along with a 60 m rope.

Belaying the group up

Here's a short 360 from the summit (some day I'll remember to hold my iPhone sideway for better/wider angle view)

60 m rope was perfect for rappel off

Gear Notes:

As little as possible.

- Very small alpine rack.

- 60 m 8.2 mm Petzl Dragonfly

- Ice screw & picket

Approach Notes:

Hoh River approach.

Maintaining happy feet is a key success factor for this one and so wore sneakers for the entire approach.

What a gorgeous climb and approach. Thanks for bringing back good memories.

Posted (edited)
On 2014-08-16 at 7:10 AM, Bigtree said:

Edited by Bigtree