Pickets Profile in Alpinist 47

JasonG

Just a quick note of thanks to the regulars around here who made this piece happen. Obviously to Forest for leading the charge, but also to Wayne, Jens, John, Steph, Jason, Lowell, Colin, Josh, Mike, Dan, Sol, Marko, etc. for filling in the details. I've just skimmed it this morning, but it looks to be an incredible article. Many thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job by Forest on this article. He dug deep into the history and folklore of the Pickets and came up with a lot of information that's probably never been published before.

I was glad to assist and was excited to see some never-before-published photos from the Mountaineers Archives make it into print. The photo of the first ascent of Forbidden Peak on page 52 was found in the Lloyd Anderson collection. I think the foreground climber may be 17-year-old Fred Beckey.

I found one error in the text. Page 55 names Dwight Watson as a member of the first ascent party on West Fury. Actually it was Duke Watson. Forest says he knew the difference, but got the names transposed at some point.

But that's a minor thing. Overall, it's a great story.