crampon question

rizzle

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends, those will probably be fine for glacier walking and general mountaineering, probably not ideal for ice climbing though. I know a guy who ice climbs in those, but I wouldn't. I've heard it said that strapons work, but there not quite as good as the real thing.

define your needs for crampons. these may be good or bad depending. If your goal is to walk on glaciers with approach shoes, then these are great. As Alan said above, not so good for water ice. maybe doable for alpine ice with good boots on.

Countdown till the statement that all the hard routes back in the day were done in these style of crampons. Even the cover of the 3rd edition (maybe 2nd ed) of waterfall ice in canadian rockies had the author climbing wi4 in plastic boots, old CM tools and a pair of strap on crampons.

Edited by genepires

I used a similar pair when I started. The old style traps are a real pain to put on or off, especially on steep terrain or blizzard conditions. After trying many styles over the years, I have finally settled on the Black Diamond Contact Strap, which is very light, easily adjustable without tools, quick to put on, and durable enough as it is made of stainless steel. I just check on ebay, 'new' only $70. These are the best for all-round use.