New to Portland, OR and to climbing-have car

algorithm42

I am a 30 year old male that just moved to Portland. I am disabled and really feel that climbing will help my drive and happiness. I would love to eventually try and start climbing for disabled people or set up some kind of program that takes disabled people climbing. First things first I need a partner that would be interested in any of this. I have had experience rappelling and doing some free climbing. I have hiked for years and lived in Asheville, NC where I often hiked. I would be more than happy to fill anyone interested in on more details about my situation. I would not be climbing without limbs or problems such as that. I also have a car and can transport people around. If not you maybe I can be pointed in the right direction. Thanks and I cannot wait to start this therapeutic part of my life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

good for you for not letting your disability dictate the terms of your life! I don't mean to pry, but I am curious about the nature of your disability. I ask because I did a little research after reading your post. Most of the adaptive climbing techniques and equipment focus on people with para or hemiplegia, amputees, and other physical disabilities. As an occupational therapy student and novice mountaineer, I have also been fascinated by prosthetic ice climbing tools and similar belay devices, but have not seen what specific equipment and training costs, or if there are programs in the area that serve climbers with disabilities. As a budding climber myself, I have considered attending Mazamas BCEP classes for basic training in safety, technique and practice. These classes can be expensive, time consuming and very difficult to get into to, but you can still attend their lectures for free!I recommend checking out their website for more info. Some other considerations: what qualities are you looking for in a climbing partner? In what way would you ask them to assist you in an alpine environment? Best of luck with all your endeavors!