Cheap Ice Tools

glen

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or you can order them from europe. It took a grand total of four days from the day i ordered to get mine. Also even with shipping i saved over 150 bucks. Then there is the fact that you can get a lot of stuff from europe for cheap(stupid us price market ups).

Also if you know someone else wishing to purchase gear you can split the shipping.

you must be going to the wrong "local" store then. cuse here our local store is GREAT! the owner is realy nice and the guys who work there even let my kids play with the cams and stuff while we shop. they also are full of info about local climbing places, ethics and even have climbed with us from time to time. They are truely good folks who love what they do.

too bad for you frown.gif

In the PNW it's not that hard to find friendly, courteous knowledgable sales staff at climbing stores. Elsewhere in this country it's not that easy to find a decent, much lessgood, climbing store in a metropolitan area east of the Rockies. When I lived in VA, on seperate occasions, I bought the last ice tool, screw, pin or ascender in the store - and it was never replaced frown.gif Not exactly a commitment to climbing from the dedicated local, eh?

Yeah, yeah, I spray a bit of 'tude myself. Us cube drones get grumpy. I get a bit irritated when people tell me to spend my money locally. I have, I do, and I will - as long as they're worth the difference(and I'm not alone in thinking $150 is not worth the 15 minutes in the store it takes to by ice tools)

I would be more than happy to supply you with the name address e-mail and web site for our local eugene shop. They would love to have your business and I will even give you mine and my husbands names so that you can tell them who sent you. I asure you, they are good climbers, and helpful and wonderful people. I am unsure if they carry ice tools, but if you are interested I will find out for you. Eugene is only two hours away.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

I've been checking Ebay for ice axe deals on and off for a few months. They start out cheap, of course, but by the end they're usually just a little higher than I want to pay in a forum where I can't see and touch the item beforehand. I bought a Cassin axe on ebay this past May, and found when it arrived that the head had a very annoying bump built into it, right where the heel of my hand goes when on easy alpine terrain. I couldn't detect this problem in the photo, but I think I would have in a store.

I have placed several bids on ice hammers and avvy beacons in the past two weeks, preparing for the season, and have managed only to drive up the final price of the item to just above my own limit. On every occasion, another bidder was willing to outbid me, and got what they wanted for one bid above my own. They've been going for about the same rate you'd see at Second Ascent. I have been forced to sign up with Esnipe. We'll see how the next auction goes. tongue.gif

Norm, I understand your frustration. Perhaps instead of saying "if you're fairly knowledgeable", I ought to have said "I don't bid on stuff I've never seen/handled in real life". I've also had lots of stuff get away just a couple of dollars above my bid. but that's just the auction experience. I did get a pair of crampons this week for $9. Nothing fancy, just a pair that I happen to have a closetful of spare parts for...

glen,

A couple thoughts .....

I would really think about the tools you have seen/used and what you think will work best for you and then deal with the price issue. Try your buddies tools and/or some shops have demo units.... What good is a "cheap tool" it you think it sucks and it spends all it's time in the closet.

I would also keep in mind alot of "cheap" tools are either older used models or units being discontinued by the mfg ... I am talking spare parts here .... one of the main reasons I sold an old Lowe Hummingbird was because I could no longer buy picks for it.

now as for the "cheap" part of the deal if you just want some entry level tools consider looking at something like the Omega Bulldogs. For $150 a pair brand new (w/leashes) not a bad deal.

for something more technical I have seen BD Rage factory blems go for around $300 a pair sans leash and I think TG posted a thread on Grivel Lite Machines going cheap.

another thought .... if you know what you are looking for, post a request with your fellow cc.com'ers. I did so a ended up with exactly what I was looking for. Keep watching the yard sale ... Scot'teryx sold a BDBP and a X15 ... real cheap here not too long ago

wes

I like the product 2nd Ascent sells and still suggest you go there, or get your tools from the people selling here regularly on cc.com. There are really awesome deals to be had!

If you want new, I bought a pair of Quarks for 130$ euro each from sportextreme.com this year and a pair of Prophets from Barrabes for 165$ american last year.

I am all for supporting local gear stores, but not when it means paying twice as much for the same product (235$ american for a Quark at REI!!)

Alex

There are a lot of good tools out there, and it is always better to buy from local shops. Looking at my rack, it is a rare exception to find anything that isn't from whatever the local shop was at the time. But, it still doesn't make sense to pay more for a used item than a new version of the same thing.

I have been trying out a few different tools on ice and giving other tools a practice swing when I can. The BD tools in general seem to be the best, followed by the Grivel designs. I am totally sold on the Cobras. They set really nicely and have little chatter. The shrikes are nice too, but not as comfy on the hands and a bit harder to hold over your head for half an hour. The weight of the Grivel Machines was nice, but didn't set as well and the aggressive pick is not quite as versatile as the cobras. I'm far from an expert, but am getting a better idea of what my ideal tool will be. After that, it is balancing between what I can afford and how much extra I am willing to pay to support local shops... same as everyone else.

Oh, and some pics...

Lambone.JPGice.jpg