Sleeping Bags for Kids

bstach

I am looking for a bag for my 5 year old for camping in the alpine in the NW Spring thru fall. Looking for recommendations. I am thinking a 10 to 20 degree bag, synthetic fill. Surprisingly, MEC has shitty selection (what a bunch of hosers). REI has the Kindercone, Nodder and Wolverine etc (spare me the Nodder jokes). Anyone use any of those with their kids? Any other recommendations?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a North Face Aleutian Youth. A bit warmer and lighter than the Kindercone and on sale at my local outdoor store (Atmosphere aka Coast Mountain Sports). My son is pretty excited to hit the trail now.

I am a bit surprised to hear some of you use down bags with your kids in the NW. I have a hard time being vigilant enough to keep my own down bag dry, so I have low expectations that a five year old would be up to it, so I only considered synthetic bags.

• 3 months later...

Buy a full size bag that the kid can grow with. Buy the best quality bag you can afford. Buy down. At least 15 degree bag. 0 is better. Your gonna be in a tent with the kids so you can uncover and in the spring and fall they'll be warm enough that they won't pee in the bag. When kids get very chilled they pee.

I am a bit surprised to hear some of you use down bags with your kids in the NW. I have a hard time being vigilant enough to keep my own down bag dry, so I have low expectations that a five year old would be up to it, so I only considered synthetic bags.

+1, in fact (for better or worse) the outdoor leadership program my son attends won't even let the kids bring down bags

Edited by rob