2012 Bird Closures

Alasdair

Hoping to use this thread in the same way as last years with bird closure info for 2012.

There are two notable closures already this year. Both for Golden eagle nesting.

China bend main cliff is closed Starting Feb 15th thru April 15th.

Trout creek is closed as of Feb 1 until further notice. Likely mid July.

Beacon Rock, South Face Closed as of Feb 1 Info http://beaconrockclimbingassociation.blogspot.com/2012/01/february-1st-closures-and-new-climbing.html here

Smith Rock Monument area closed from Feb 15- Aug 1 for golden eagles. Link for more info http://smithrock.com/b2evolution/blog4.php/2012/02/06/monument-area-to-close-february-15th

Smith Rock. It looks like the closure for the Prairie Falcons is also going into effect in the First Kiss area. It will be the same closure as the last 2 years.

Tieton At present, the closure at Tieton is just downstream of The Bend but it may be moved if the birds do not nest in the same spot as last year. The Bend and other Tieton crags remain open.

The following locations are likely closures that I dont have info on yet this year.

Midnight Rock, Leavenworth

Snow Creek Wall, Leavenworth

Mt. Erie

I will edit this post as I get more info on nesting closures.

If you hear of any please feel free to update this thread and send me an email with the info at alasdairturner@gmail.com.

Due to two back to back Denali trips this year it will be difficult for me to update openings in a timely manor so feel free to add those also.

Mods - can we make this a sticky?

Edited by Alasdair

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping to use this thread in the same way as last years with bird closure info for 2012.

There are two notable closures already this year. Both for Golden eagle nesting.

If you hear of any please feel free to update this thread and send me an email with the info at alasdairturner@gmail.com.

Due to two back to back Denali trips this year it will be difficult for me to update openings in a timely manor so feel free to add those also.

I did not think they had eagles nesting on Denali.

What is the purpose of this thread? Is it to make people aware of raptor closures? If so, why so incomplete? Whats the point?

I think Alasdair already answered your questions in the original post.

purpose is to let people know of closures that are in affect and about to be in affect

Incomplete because he does not know of all closures. He asked for people to post if they are aware of closures.

reading comprehension.

What Gene said. Believe it or not it is hard to know if some areas are closed until the land manager has decided they will be closed, but I updated the OP to make it more obvious. I am just starting to gather the info for this season and these two go into effect now so I added them. The peregrine closures are usually quite a bit later than the eagle closures.

Edited by Alasdair

Beacon Rock, South Face Closed as of Feb 1 Info http://beaconrockclimbingassociation.blogspot.com/2012/01/february-1st-closures-and-new-climbing.html here

The following locations are likely closures that I dont have info on yet this year.

Tieton

Midnight Rock, Leavenworth

Snow Creek Wall, Leavenworth

Smith Rock

Mt. Erie

what about Smith rock?

what about Smith rock?

? I dont really have enough info here to answer your question. Can you add some detail to your question?

Really? You are on a thread devoted to bird closures and I ask what about Smith Rock and you cannot derive from that what I am referring too. Come on brother.....

Which climbing areas at Smith Rock are closed due to bird closures?

Sssshhhhhh! Quiet! Negotiations in progress! God forbid documents submitted to public officials should be public. And lawdy, we's all knoes dems officials is so easily confused. And if they're easily confused, god only knows just how confusing it would all be for the poor average cc.com climber who makes it out to Beacon a few times a year but doesn't know the secret handshake and aren't part of the club - definitely no need for them to see or comment on any of the details.

Sigh. I always did wonder exactly what 'formal' meant. Same as it ever was. All in all a proud display of openness and the true potential of social media. Ya, ubetcha.

Sssshhhhhh! Quiet! Negotiations in progress! God forbid documents submitted to public officials should be public. And lawdy, we's all knoes dems officials is so easily confused. And if they're easily confused, god only knows just how confusing it would all be for the poor average cc.com climber who makes it out to Beacon a few times a year but doesn't know the secret handshake and aren't part of the club - definitely no need for them to see or comment on any of the details.

Sigh. I always did wonder exactly what 'formal' meant. Same as it ever was. All in all a proud display of openness and the true potential of social media. Ya, ubetcha.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

if the s side suddenly opens please let me know so i can drop m'cock n' grab m'socks :)

At Smith Rock, the Golden Eagles have returned and appear to have selected a nest site in the Monument area (different nest than last year). Closure is in effect.

There is a pair of Bald Eagles nesting near the Bivi area. You can see the Balds flying over the climbing area most days.

No word on the Prairie Falcons yet. Although I think I saw one yesterday.

Some Golden Eagle pairs behave like the Bald Eagles and use the same nest year in, year out. Other Golden pairs rotate among several nests every couple of years.

Maybe there are some golden eagles that use the same nest year over year, but none that I have seen. I have been to a lot of nests in the pacific northwest and not one of them has used a single nest.

I suspect the latter is the much more common case due to a heavy reliance on a mammalian diet versus fish as in the case of Balds.

The point being that the fact a pair of Goldens don't nest at a particular site for a couple of years doesn't mean they aren't using it per se, it just means it's in the rotation and they'll likely get back to it again in another year.