New Cheapo Climbing Wall

akhalteke

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

Is there a way to set routes at a given grade? I seem to set V2's every time and want something a little harder. I have been simply trading out holds for smaller ones or moving them farther away, but this kinda makes the routes, well, crappy.

I have a new found respect for the route setters at my local gym as this is proving more and more difficult. :) I guess that is 1/2 the fun though. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions or things that work for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best advice I heard for a new route setter was to map out their favorite outdoor climbs in a notebook, with move-to-move topo and beta, then try to transfer that climb - or the best part of it - directly to an indoor wall. Its a bit time consuming at first, but it helps maintain variety!

• 1 month later...

Awesome, thanks guys. I was just throwing a bunch of holds up where they made sense and getting after it. Now, I am more starting a route and adding to get the "desired effect," I might have to try that idea of mapping out routes. There are some great setters in the Colorado Springs area and I could probably 'borrow' some inspiration from them.