Winter Ascent of Rainier

nels0891

Thinking it would be fun to take a trip up the big guy this winter. I've been on a winter climb last year, although we turned around due to questionable avalanche conditions. Given the right forecast and snow conditions, I wouldnt mind getting back up there.

Who knows what the weather will be like within the next few weeks, but i'll be back in the Tacoma area around the 18th from school.

Let me know if you are interested.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, 3 of us tried to climb Rainier a week ago. Just so you know, we couldnt find a safe way onto DC because the snow conditions were so soft and unstable. Lots of big ice falls coming off the Ingram head wall as well. Its been so warm there lately that lots of things are melting. I don't want to discourage you guys, just wanted to let you know about the issues we ran into a week ago. Good luck guys and safe climbing. Rowan

Yah the sun was doing a number on the route and the snow. We tried to get onto DC in a couple of different places but the snow was simply too mushy and soft getting onto the cleaver. Might be possible to get up there if its colder or if you go at night (but you'd still have to get back down). The huge icefalls off Ingram also made us slightly uncomfortable. Route finding above the cleaver will also be a huge challenge. There were some massive crevasses up there (we could see them from Cathedral Rocks and the ranger was mentioning them as well). If you guys go, shoot me a reply after. Would love to hear how you guys make out. Rowan