Ladies- A little advice please

ZimZam

I could use a little help with finding my GF a more comfortable harness. While belaying my 200lbs. my friend who is just learning to climb does great. However, while lowering me the pressure becomes extremely uncomfortable. Self-explanatory. Have any of you had this issue? Found a harness that works really well? Made some kind of fabrication w/o altering the structural integrity of the harness? Any and all advice or comments would be sincerely appreciated. She loves the whole climberin' thang, but this issue puts a damper on the fun. PM if uneasy w/ this public forum. Thanks. ZZ

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Working at a gear shop, I can tell you that the harnesses everyone finds comfortable are the Arcteryx models.

We carry a fairly limited selection of manufacturares, but most people find something good enough from either Petzl or Black Diamond (the new entry-model BD's are a definite step up from previous years). Lacking that, I've yet to meet someone who didn't find the Arcteryx ones comfortable, before knowing the price, of course.

I believe both Edelrid and Mammut have similar models available this year, but I haven't had a chance to try either, yet.

Good luck!

Short of a big-wall harness I for some reason find the BOD more comfortable than any of the fancy new harnesses.

But that says nothing to address your GF's issue. I would second the idea of belaying off an anchor instead of the harness. On the rare occasion when I've had to belay and lower much bigger people, it was the only thing that didn't hurt.

Working at a gear shop, I can tell you that the harnesses everyone finds comfortable are the Arcteryx models

2nd the dead bird recommendation.

My lady bought one of the entry level BD harnesses because it was yellow (true story) but said it wasn't super comfortable belaying me while I thrash around on the wall. I found the female version of the red dead bird harness (R320 I think?) on clearance for $60 and picked it up for her. She loves it and ended up returning the BD one.