Adams in Oct ? - Advice Requested

gasper

Hi, noobie here with questions. What can I expect to find going up Adams in Oct (south spur)?

I know its pretty straightforward in the summer, but now that its snowing a bit, what conditions should I expect? Not worried much about temp, I am more thinking of post-holing. I also have a gear question, crampons or not? My freind says we dont need them. He has no experiance in cascades, but I've read both that you need them and optional.

I have this link to climbing weather, which is the conditions at the lunch counter or there abouts I think. http://www.climbingweather.com/Washington/Mount-Adams

Please let me know your thoughts.

Edited by gasper

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey gasper,

You should check out the "Climbing Partners" thread and look for Mt. Adams Oct 15th. There's a HUGE group of us going, maybe 8 or 9 people. Tag along if you'd like.

As far as conditions, from what I've read and talked with people that have been up it have said, you can expect it to be very cold. Snow is falling in recent days which will make it a lot tougher going. You might be post-holing on the lower part of the climb where the slope is shallower, but where it is steeper I doubt the snow will be super deep. You should for sure bring crampons and ice axe. In summer when there are people going up all day everyday and boot tracks are well established, maybe not, but certainly in October to be safe you're going to want both.

Not sure what the weather will be like, but if it's good, should be great climbing.

All the best,

-Matt

Thanks for responding. I am up and back and now reading this...I'll post my experience for others.

I was uneasy about going due to the forecast, but I reluctantly agreed to go. We were going to go up to the LC, camp, and see what happens. The forecast was pretty correct this time (despite seemingly being off many times prior)!

We lazily started and made it up to about the LC at about 1PM and started looking for a spot. For most of the morning the weather was quite nice. Towards the afternoon though, the weather was deteriorating.

The night brought lows in 20s, lots of wind, and 8" of snow. I don't know what the winds were, but checking my phone it was 30 sustained and 45 gusts. Despite being behind the wall, the tent was getting hammered all night. Nothing beyond what we were prepared for temp and wind wise, but um... not the best decision for me to leave the car that day.

The following morning was much like the night, cold, lots of wind, snowing. Getting out of the tent in the morning, my heart sank due to the low visibility. Not that we couldn't go to the top, but more we needed to get down and I was uneasy about it.

We lost the trail due to the fresh snow on the way down and not being able to see. We were down far enough though so it wasn't a big deal. At 7500' the trail jogs East and we must have walked right by it. We ended up descending the ridge towards the SW, West of the trail. We were pretty sure of what we'd done so we headed SE to Morrison Creek and then followed it S to the Round the Mountain Trial. Based on the garbage and boot prints we ran into around the creek, I saw others did the same.

No summit, but I got experience with some weather.

Optional things I am glad I took:

insulated leathers

light insulating legs

extra medweight windstoppper gloves

PS: In Bingen, on the main drag, there are amazing burgers at Killer Burger. Eating and being down was definitely the best part of the trip.

Edited by gasper

Thanks for the update. We're still planning on heading up this weekend (like Hobson said) so we'll let you know how it goes. Thankfully the forcast is calling for a lot calmer winds (13-16mph) a little clearer skies and less precip. Hopefully stays true!

Thanks for the update. We're still planning on heading up this weekend (like Hobson said) so we'll let you know how it goes. Thankfully the forcast is calling for a lot calmer winds (13-16mph) a little clearer skies and less precip. Hopefully stays true!

Wish you almost didn't mention it. Now thinking of driving down and trying again...

1 day though, I got what I needed out of my last camping experience. :crazy: