Beware of user: Mirk's

alexbaker

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhhh sounds like mirko thought he was buying an ok rope.

sounds like alex knew he was selling a "very well used rope".

ummm, just give away your "very well used ropes", ok?

especially ones with soft spots and short by friggin 25'?

btw, never ever ever heard of a climbing rope shrinking from 60 meters to 52 meters before. 25 feet? that's ridiculous. unless it was sitting around baking in the sun for a few years.

btw, never ever ever heard of a climbing rope shrinking from 60 meters to 52 meters before. 25 feet? that's ridiculous. unless it was sitting around baking in the sun for a few years.

Ya have now. First time I saw it it was my blue Maxim and the rappel ( or should have ended like the previous time I'd been on the route with the same rope LOL) ended on the ground and fortunately not mid wall someplace. It clearly and obviously happened, I was shocked that it was so significant (and unexpected). Later, I learned that is just what happens, some ropes more than others as noted up thread, some Mfg will cut their ropes long to adjust to this. Now I have lots of ropes and climb less so I don't tend to notice this like when I had a single lead rope and climbed a lot, but keep an eye on your rope ends as you rappel Kimmo. Taking something like that for granted might be deadly. There is lots of discussion on this issue on the internet.

Even more important and critical, if anyone is putting in new route rappel stations, don't head out with your new rope and stretch out the length on the rap stations and thus defacto screw over anyone with an old rope who comes along later.

:wave:

25 feet of shrinkage on a 60 meter rope? i don't believe it without non-anecdotal evidence.

I don't know how fair it is to Mirks to keep bumping this thread as Alex deleted his posts...(good on you Alex) However, here's a link to start, then go to google, you'll see it's not uncommon.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2265066;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC