• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
alexbaker

Beware of user: Mirk's

uhhh sounds like mirko thought he was buying an ok rope.

sounds like alex knew he was selling a "very well used rope".

ummm, just give away your "very well used ropes", ok?

especially ones with soft spots and short by friggin 25'?

btw, never ever ever heard of a climbing rope shrinking from 60 meters to 52 meters before. 25 feet? that's ridiculous. unless it was sitting around baking in the sun for a few years.

btw, never ever ever heard of a climbing rope shrinking from 60 meters to 52 meters before. 25 feet? that's ridiculous. unless it was sitting around baking in the sun for a few years.

Ya have now. First time I saw it it was my blue Maxim and the rappel ( or should have ended like the previous time I'd been on the route with the same rope LOL) ended on the ground and fortunately not mid wall someplace. It clearly and obviously happened, I was shocked that it was so significant (and unexpected). Later, I learned that is just what happens, some ropes more than others as noted up thread, some Mfg will cut their ropes long to adjust to this. Now I have lots of ropes and climb less so I don't tend to notice this like when I had a single lead rope and climbed a lot, but keep an eye on your rope ends as you rappel Kimmo. Taking something like that for granted might be deadly. There is lots of discussion on this issue on the internet.

Even more important and critical, if anyone is putting in new route rappel stations, don't head out with your new rope and stretch out the length on the rap stations and thus defacto screw over anyone with an old rope who comes along later.

:wave:

25 feet of shrinkage on a 60 meter rope? i don't believe it without non-anecdotal evidence.

25 feet of shrinkage on a 60 meter rope? i don't believe it without non-anecdotal evidence.

I don't know how fair it is to Mirks to keep bumping this thread as Alex deleted his posts...(good on you Alex) However, here's a link to start, then go to google, you'll see it's not uncommon.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2265066;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC