• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
danhelmstadter

[TR] Shuksan - Variation to Hanging Glacier & North Face 5/9/2011

Trip: Shuksan - Variation to Hanging Glacier & North Face

Date: 5/9-10/2011

Trip Report:

The other day Drew Tabke and I skied a variation of the Hanging Glacier on the Shukhorn off the north shoulder. Weather was mostly cloudy but provided a few key windows which we patiently waited for, the snow conditions had been breakable crust for most of the morning, but softened up just enough for the crust to dissolve when we skied. The upper face was steep and very fun. We quickly skied the lookers left exit, which was a little scary because of the ice cliff above.

The next day I skied the North Face solo. I hadn't intended to ski that day, but the allure of cold temps and blue morning skies proved irresistible. I found firm windpack on the steep entrance option (skiers right), and weak breakable crust for the mid portion, soft snow on the lower. The lower face is the most filled in that I've seen it, and I skied hugging skiers left, which is usually seracs.

Our route (picture taken from my hg descent 5/4/11)

2546652180103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

tracks

2313289290103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

Drew

2497601940103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

Drew slayin

2357731030103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

Entering the knar exit

2102360870103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

The North Face, my tracks should be visible on upper portion.

2987777120103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

Own? Oh ya! Dan, curious, what skis are you riding? They look to be dbl rockered fatties?

Thanks Adam! we got a couple minute of a window of fog free weather that we waited a while for! I think that the slope angle was somewhere around 50, I haven't carried an inclinometer around with me for several years and have lost my ability to judge angle accuratly.

Thanks!

John, I'm still useing the Mansalus, they're getting a little floppy. Adam from LMS hooked me up with some H2Os for Maude, they were sick!