Backpack carrier

needtoclimb

Looking for more advice. My son is now 3 months old, with very good head control. We bought the Ergo front carrier, he hated it. He likes to look forward, and enjoys the moby and baby bjorn. However, I only enjoy those for a couple of miles before they become uncomfortable. 3 months is probably a little young for the back pack, but hey, I can start my research now.

Any suggestions? I would love to be able to do an overnighter backpacking trip this summer when he is a bit older, so I am looking for a back that is light, carries the child comfortable, and has options for storage so I can carry some of the gear.

thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did the research to buy ours a couple of years ago, the sherpani rhumba was about the best (http://sherpani.com/sherpani-rumba.aspx). I think we found it new, on sale for ~140, but they often show up on craigslist. We have gone backpacking several times and used it on dozens of day hikes and it works quite well. If you are over 6' 2" the shoulder straps are a bit short, otherwise it carries really well. I would highly recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

When my little monster was getting close to wearable I was stoked about getting one of those Kelty carriers from REI. We went in and tried a number of them but ended up using a hand-me-down Graco like this one. It was lighter, more comfortable and overall just less fussy. For the next 6 months she practically lived in that thing, and we logged a good 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail together. One thing it isn't too good for is carrying much cargo, though, so that may be a show stopper for you.

Edited by twitchy

I used the Deuter Kid Comfort 1 with both my kids (just sold it, sorry). I found it well made, reasonably comfortable, and the kids liked it. We took it to Mexico, which was nice, because stollers are pretty useless down there. Did a lot of dayhikes, but nothing overnight. The sun/rain shade is nice/useful. The gear compartment is small -- it holds some snacks, water, and a few diapers, which is fine for a day hike or round the town. The internal harness (to keep them in place) is pretty fiddly -- we stopped using it pretty quickly.

I found that you can put them in there young as long as you include quite a bit of padding -- just pack them in there with blankets, etc.

As for overnights, I capitulated early and gave up on the entire concept, and settled for car camping or day hikes...

Anyway, I'd recommend it, I see the models have changed somewhat, so not sure if they've gotten better or worse...

Another vote for the Deuter Kid Comfort II. We've used it on overnight backcountry hut-to-hut trips. It adjusts well so both you and mom can carry the kiddo.

4242664198_521c23b193_o.jpg

I've yet to do a summer overnight with my son and wife so I can't speak to it's ability to handle your gear, your toddler's gear and a tent.

• 2 months later...

I have Deuter Kid Comfort III. Liked the built in rain and sun shade.

I think the key is to have the gear sit below your kid as opposed to sitting behind the kid. We originally bought a REI brand kid carrier where the gear would sit behind the kid, and talk about wrong weight distribution. I am surprised how much gear we can fit into our Deuter Kid and comfortably carry the pack. We usually go for day climbing, but we fit a lot of climbing gear as well as baby gear in our pack.

Good to hear! We have been really pleased with ours, and now kiddo #2 if getting to enjoy it. Many thousands of vert later and it is still going strong. Pretty grubby (food and drool do wonders on a pack), but not worn really at all.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread. What are folks using these days to carry their little ones on hikes/overnight trips? My little one is a year old. I'd be looking to go on hikes this spring and summer with her, and also try overnighters (backpacking). Have used Baby Bjorn so far (on day trips & XC ski), but now it's time to upgrade.

Looks like Sherpani no longer carries the Rumba (at least it's not listed on their web page any more). There are some on sale at Overstock, though. Are the current versions of Deuter Kid Comfort I, II, III as good as the previous ones (if they've changed anything that is)? I happened to find this top 10 list from Outside. Any one have experience with (some of) these options? TIA :) .

The Sherpani has treated me real well. Two years ago my wife and I took the baby for an overnight back pack. The Sherpani had enough room (with the additional daypack attached) for kid and light gear, and the wife carried the rest. The Sherpani has a lot of room in it.

I now have a 10 month old. So I needed another pack. I purchased the new Osprey Poco back. (the middle version. It has a couple more accessories, but not the attachable day pack.) It is very comfortable and very well made. Osprey knows packs and they developed it with the hiker in mind. It doesn't have as much overall bulky storage, but does have several pockets for stuffing the water bottle, gloves, etc without having to take off the pack everytime you need something.

The really nice thing about the Osprey is the integrated sunshade. The Sherpani's is separate, and there have been many times I have forgotten it and wished I had it. The downside is that you need to purchase a separate rain fly for the Osprey. (Truth be told, if it is raining hard enough to use it, I'm not taking my baby out into the elements. Though I am jealous of that skiing picture.)

I highly recommend it. If cost is an issue, there are quite a few Sherpani's on craigslist. Both are good packs. I prefer the Osprey, but you won't go wrong with the Sherpani. I have never used the Deuter, so can't compare it. Any questions, shoot me a PM.

• 1 month later...

we used the ergo when the baby was really small and could be carried in the front (then a backpack with gear can be carried in addition).

we tried an older rumba (lots of them around! ask your friends for a hand-me-down!) afterwards, but didn't like it for ski touring 'cause it's so bulky.

the current choice is deuter kangakid: it is lower profile, the child sits closer to the body but can still look over your shoulder, and has some storage. the only down-side is that the torso length is a little short. check it out!