digi cameras..yes once again

layton

I know this topic always comes up, but they keep making new models every week.

I was thinking about a cannon powershot S95.

any favs...any why?

I just want crisp clean photo without the blur, and no, i know nothing about cameras and don't want to learn...thus the point and shoot and request for recs?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The S95 is a nice camera, a big plus is it doesn't require a lens cap which is great for needing to take super quick shots.

I went with the LX-5 and I love it. No lag at all, great pictures, one button video record which you can zoom on. One big reason I went with it is because of the wider angle lens for landscape. It is bigger then the S95 which is a consideration. Pretty good in auto in snow, but you can quickly change the settings to underexpose by a stop or two. Lowlight is incredible. The only thing that slightly annoyed me early on is the flash will not work if the it is in burst mode.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/page18.asp

I was going to buy a new DSLR to replace my D70. I was looking at a D3100, but I finally decided if I'm going to lug around a bunch of SLR shit then I'm going to bring a boss camera like a D7000. And I hate carrying that crap so I went with the LX-5. Mirrorless is all the rage these days, but I just feel it's a glorified point and shoot at this point.

And yeah Layton that isn't the same DP review site you frequent :P

The g12 is fairly bulky for the quality it produces.  My lady has the S95 which takes just as good of images.  

I've also got to try the lx-5 and it of course is a nice camera.  Easy choice for me over the g12.  And I actually like the removable lens cap, just take it off at the beginning of the climb and put it back on at the car.  That is what I do with my high end canon L-series lenses and they survive.  

I haven't used the GF2 yet but have been using the GF1 for almost a year now and have been pretty happy with it.  I have the fixed 14mm 2.5 and the 20mm 1.7 which are both super sharp.  I've found the GF1 files to look much better than the the S95 or g12 but it is a bigger camera with a bigger sensor. (though not much heavier than the g12).  

Olympus is also making some micro 4/3 cameras that are small and sound pretty nice.  The good thing about the m4/3 is you can keep the lenses and continue to upgrade the bodies every year or two.

Mike - if you are looking for a point and shoot, you might consider the Canon Powershot "A" series. They aren't quite as small as what you are looking at but small enough. One feature I really like about mine is it takes AA batteries so you can use the cold resistant lithium batteries and also have spare options depending on your headlamp and other gadgets.

Another vote for the "A" series Canon. I have the G12, but never take it climbing. I use the A1200IS for climbing. I can operate it one handed, it has an optical viewfinder, as ericb points out it is nice using AA batteries (which I also use for my headlamp). It takes nice pictures and is handy clipped to my shoulder strap or harness.

The G12 is basically the same the S95, but in a bit larger form factor that might be easier to use one-handed and/or with gloves/mitts on.

Thoughts?

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g12-review

The lens ring on the S90/S95 makes using the camera much easier with gloves - set it for zoom. It's also smaller and more packable than the G's (I owned a G9, went to the S90 which am happy with)

I've been using the Canon A1100IS for over a year now. For me the deciding factors were it uses AA batteries (readily available,easy to replace on long trips) and the optical viewfinder ( old man eyes can't see the screen).Easy to use, pictures are fine , works in the cold.I can turn it on with my gloves on and I don't baby it and i've never had any trouble with it. I sometimes wish it had a wide angle lens , but it is a point and shoot; the zoom works fine. I'm a certified techno-idiot,if I can make it work, anybody can. Dave A.

Just wanted to throw in another vote for the Canons in general. Nikon makes a mean SLR and lens but their coolpix series leave a lot to be desired.

I recently bought the new Nikon P7000 and it takes outstanding pictures. I chose it over the G12 for two reasons: it has a 7x zoom, and 60 second shutter (the Canon only does 15sec) for starry-sky shots. The problem is that it doesn't fit in my pocket so I still take my shitty little Fuji on climbs. My little brother's Canon S95 takes sharp pics with perfect color rendition and exposure and is small enough to take anywhere. Also, has the same larger-than-average 1.7 CCD as the P7000 and the G12. My vote for the Canon S95. :tup:

a vote for canon. love my little SD780. and the battery has lasted days (3+) at high altitude, and in cold temps.

one thing to look out for in any camera - flat edge of the camera body if you're ever planning to set it down on a surface to take a pic.

...i have a number of SLRs (NOT digital), rangefinders, and a complete photo lab at home - and i love this little p+s.

Edited by spionin

• 2 weeks later...

got the S95 and used it in for my wedding in winter in alaska. got low light, snow glare, indoors, running dogs, and kids/families - all my pics are ten times better than my old camera. thanks for the suggestions, the G12 was just too big

• 5 weeks later...

kingfrankiv,

this is good, very good. I am looking at epl-2... because i feel I have hit the limits of my P&S, it is 4 years old and while I get good results, I spend too much time fiddling due to not getting what I want. I'd rather spend more time fiddling due to perfecting what I do have. I'm on the cust of this purchase right now. Almost went dSLR then realized I would never honestly lug that along half the places I go. Tried epl-2 last night at a store with 14-42mm lens and yes bigger than p&s but fits in my jacket pocket overall, and if it was on neck strap is nothing close to dSLR.

What lens do you use, kingfrankiv?