[TR] Crown Point - Peeler Lake & Rock Island Pass 9/11/2010

off_the_hook

Trip: Crown Point - Peeler Lake & Rock Island Pass

Date: 9/11/2010

Trip Report:

agassiz12.JPG

[video:youtube]

Crown Point (11,346 ft) is located in Northern Yosemite and has a commanding 360 degree view of the surrounding region, including Sawtooth Ridge and Matterhorn Peak. Access is via Twin Lakes and the Hoover Wilderness. There are numerous lovely alpine lakes set amidst Sierra granite. Peeler Lake, with a sapphire blue color, is located on the Sierra Crest with dual outlets on either side - one flowing to the Great Basin and another to the Pacific Ocean via the Tuolumne Watershed/Hetch Hetchy. I took the trail to Peeler Lake and then headed cross country traversing around the granite shores and then ascending the north slopes of Crown Point. Crown Point has great views of Tower Peak, Kerrick Meadows, Sawtooth Ridge, and the deep blue Peeler Lake. From the summit I descended towards Rock Island Pass where I picked up the trail. The Rock Island Pass trail passes through a magical basin of lakes ranging in color from blue to teal. Total mileage was about 21 miles in 6:45.

hoover01.JPG

hoover02.JPG

hoover03.JPG

Incredible Hulk

hoover04.JPG

Barney Lake with Crown Point

hoover05.JPG

Alpine Beach!

hoover06.JPG

hoover07.JPG

hoover08.JPG

hoover11.JPG

hoover12.JPG

hoover13.JPG

hoover14.JPG

hoover15.JPG

Peeler Lake

hoover16.JPG

hoover17.JPG

hoover18.JPG

hoover19.JPG

hoover20.JPG

Crown Point from Peeler Lake

agassiz071.JPG

agassiz081.JPG

hoover21.JPG

hoover22.JPG

hoover23.JPG

hoover24.JPG

hoover25.JPG

hoover26.JPG

hoover28.JPG

hoover29.JPG

hoover30.JPG

hoover31.JPG

Kerrick Meadows from Crown Point

hoover32.JPG

hoover34.JPG

Sawtooth Ridge

hoover35.JPG

hoover37.JPG

hoover38.JPG

hoover39.JPG

hoover40.JPG

Sapphire blue of Peeler Lake

hoover41.JPG

hoover42.JPG

hoover43.JPG

hoover44.JPG

Snow Lake

hoover45.JPG

hoover48.JPG

hoover49.JPG

hoover50.JPG

hoover51.JPG

hoover71.JPG

hoover53.JPG

Crown Lake

hoover54.JPG

hoover55.JPG

hoover56.JPG

hoover57.JPG

hoover58.JPG

hoover59.JPG

hoover60.JPG

hoover61.JPG

hoover62.JPG

hoover63.JPG

hoover64.JPG

hoover65.JPG

hoover66.JPG

hoover67.JPG

hoover68.JPG

Incredible Hulk

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey off_the_hook -

Nice shots! And I do believe I gave you a "howdy" as you were coming down the trail. Somewhere between Barney Lake and the trailhead, last Saturday, 9/11, around 4-5pm. I was starting up around then.

You had a couple water bottles strapped to your vest and looked like you were hardly breaking a sweat, man.

It was my first time in the area and it's pretty darm awesome. Kinda naked this time of year. Add some snow and it will be even more awesomer. I will return. I saw a ton of stuff I want to do.

I took my time, camped at Barney Lake, headed over the donkey passes, over Matterhorn Peak and down Horse canyon. A most pleasant weekend.

I took too many pictures and still need to sort through them. They are here: http://www.qitnl.com/v/091110/

Nice to "meet" you.

-Joe

Thanks! I added a short video/photo compilation to the trip report. This is indeed a spectacular area of lakes and granite.

QITNL: Nice to meet you! Your photos are fantastic and it clearly looks like you are using a better camera. Next time I hope to continue down to Benson Lake as part of a much larger loop. I bet those aspens on the way to Barney Lake will have awesome fall color in a couple weeks.