[TR] Mount Baker (ski) - Coleman-Deming 3/6/2010

timmy_t

Trip: Mount Baker (ski) - Coleman-Deming

Date: 3/6/2010

Trip Report:

My friend Brennan and I took advantage of the bluebird day on Saturday and climbed/skied Baker's Coleman-Deming route (as did about 10 other people). If you have a soccer mom minivan like me you can drive to within five minutes of the trailhead. If you have anything else you can drive up to it. The snowpack looks like mid-June in the trees down low.

The crux turned out to be the icy trail through the trees, which I actually slipped and fell off of at one point. I slid about 30 feet down a steep frozen hillside before coming to rest against a tree. Oops.

Somebody had set a great skin track right out of the trees (thanks!), and it continued all the way up the Deming and onto the summit hump (minus about 300 feet above the saddle where we had to boot pack up).

Here we are on the Football Field

DSC_0014.JPG

As you can see, there are no downhill ski tracks yet. What a day. Here's Brennan against Baker's backdrop as we continue up the Coleman Glacier

DSC_0016.JPG

Here's the first skier we saw coming down, in front of Colfax Peak

DSC_0018.JPG

And here's a snowboarder coming down the Deming in front of the rime ice-covered Roman Wall

DSC_0021.JPG

It was mild with no wind on top, so I snapped this shot of Brennan as he changed his wet shirt. It's March, for the love of God. (The axe is merely a photo op prop)

DSC_0026.JPG

The snow wasn't bad coming down the Deming. And, you know, the view...

DSC_0037.JPG

The snow below the saddle was amazing, super fun. Looks like a good turn was had by all.

DSC_0041.JPG

One final shot of a serac piece in front of Colfax

DSC_0043.JPG

'Twas a good day.

Gear Notes:

Skis

Skins

Summit Burrito

Approach Notes:

You can drive to the trailhead.

Try not to fall off the trail.

• Replies 5