Help, ice tool(s) needed...

LostCamKenny

For several years I have been using a mismatched pair of tools - no big deal, since they worked. But I've decided that it is time that I look for a mate to one of them and make a pair and I am too cheap to go buy a shiny new pair(read:poor). My hammer is a BD Shrike and my adze is an older(emphasis on older) BD Black Prophet that isn't even made anymore(and, thus, BD doesn't stock parts for anymore).

What I am looking for is a Shrike with an adze OR a prophet with a hammer. Depending on the number of responses (or the amount of info i receive) I might even consider buying both and having two sets of tools. I have spoken to a fabricator who can fashion picks for me if all I could find were the prophet, but I'd prefer to find an Shrike with an adze.

I reside in the Baja Washington region (Portland) and thus am not able to view anything in person unless it is local for me... pictures are essential! If you can help please speak up! I've attached pics of what I have to help in finding a mate for one of them...

Thanks! :brew:

100_4261.JPG100_4262.JPG100_4258.JPG100_4260.JPG

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you should sell both those tools and get a new pair of modern curved leashless tools and set them up with a BD spinner leash...

and get two hammers, adzes are scary and you can do everything you do with an adze with a pick.

:) yeah, yeah... you're in a long list of friends that have suggested that I do so, but i am just too attached to them both to get rid of them, plus I'd never get for them what they are worth to me! I'm very sentimental about them :)

you should sell both those tools and get a new pair of modern curved leashless tools and set them up with a BD spinner leash...

and get two hammers, adzes are scary and you can do everything you do with an adze with a pick.

Udder rubbish, ever climbed chandelier ice there youth? Many of times I have used an adze for hooking in. Ever pulled up to the top a pillow and stuck your pick in only to have it zipper through the crust? Many of times I have used an adze catch the edge without it pulling through.

Personally, I would ditch the Shrike and find a match for the BP and then get a modern set of tools for vertical ice. I still use my straight shaft CFBP on alpine climbs as the they are light, plunge great, and a nice alpine tool. For the vert I have a set of the original Cobras which are also very usable on alpine terrain.

Call Second Ascent in Ballard: (206) 545-8810

they've probably got lots of Shrikes (aka bent shaft X15s), and black rubber shaft Phrophets. And Kurt is correct, all current BD picks fit on all old BD tools.

and if I were you I'd keep your old tools for sentimentality and eventually buy some modern tools with a clearance shaft.

Why are adzes scary Marc? Why are you afraid of them? You should face your fears Marc, for fear is the mind killer.

Don't be afraid of adzes Marc, ever ever ever again.

And that wide adze is the shizzle when you're dry tooling and you have a wide crack you want to cam.

I have a set of X-15's and a set of straight Black Prophets with 2 adzes and 1 hammer. Sorry won't part with them. Recently bought some Cobras when they went on sale when the Vipers came out. SWEEEEEETTTT.

the new BD picks will def fit on the old BD tools, all the way back to the X-15

Why are adzes scary Marc? Why are you afraid of them? You should face your fears Marc, for fear is the mind killer.

Don't be afraid of adzes Marc, ever ever ever again.

And that wide adze is the shizzle when you're dry tooling and you have a wide crack you want to cam.

self lobotomy when falling on hard mixed lines dude..... seen a guy at Marble Canyon pown his face with an adze (then again he sucked at climbing)... i have cammed my hammers in wider cracks.... and yes I have chopped a bollard with a pick.

hey kenny,

I know you're not looking to buy two tools, (and mods don't kill me for doing this) but I was on ebay today and saw a pair of shrikes (adze and hammer) for sale...seemed to be reasonably pirced as well. came up when i searched ice axe.

hope it helps your shirke's quest for a mate.

self lobotomy when falling on hard mixed lines dude..... seen a guy at Marble Canyon pown his face with an adze (then again he sucked at climbing)... i have cammed my hammers in wider cracks.... and yes I have chopped a bollard with a pick.

how many "hard mixed lines dude" have you done? and how many of those have you given yourself a "self lobotomy."

""self lobotomy when falling on hard mixed lines dude..... seen a guy at Marble Canyon pown his face with an adze""

Know what you're talking about, you have to be ready to duck your head down when you feel the tool come out, then it just hits your helmet. Generally you just keep your face away from the back of the adze, when you absolutely have to have it there because of climbing position, then you go into the "ready to duck" mode.

""self lobotomy when falling on hard mixed lines dude..... seen a guy at Marble Canyon pown his face with an adze""

Know what you're talking about, you have to be ready to duck your head down when you feel the tool come out, then it just hits your helmet. Generally you just keep your face away from the back of the adze, when you absolutely have to have it there because of climbing position, then you go into the "ready to duck" mode.

??? :)

silo.JPG