anyone climbed in the seven devils area?

powderhound

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible. Bad. Did I say sucky? I think the rock is a hodgepodge of andesite and basalt, but I'm no geologist.

I did manage to get in there two Octobers ago, after the first couple of freeze/thaw cycles, but before the roads closed, and found a few smears of water ice. I'd have to look on my old maps to remember where it was. Dean Lords has thrown down on some big mountain mixed routes in southern Idaho in similar conditions. I also tried to get in there four or so winters back, hoping to get in the FWA of the full seven devil traverse. Long slogging and cold temps sent us home with our tales between our legs.

The east (?) face of the tower of babel is steep and fairly sustained. He devil and she devil have big faces. All are unclimbed, as far as I know.

I've known a few people that have done a full traverse of the range in the summer. Supposed to be a really good scramble. Expect one bivy. I can look in the lopez Idaho guide if you're interested. There is a Limestone sport climbing cave on the road up that I've heard is wicked hard. Also, the amount of granite upstream from Riggins on the Salmon River is supposed similar to the Icicle near Leavenworth, but the rock is significatnly less featured, or so the story goes.

Good luck.