[TR] MF7FJ - 5/30/2009

AJScott

Trip: MF7FJ -

Date: 5/30/2009

Trip Report:

Left town on saturday and made it to the trail head after some tree removal around 11. Camped a lil below the summit of maude and woke up and waited for a stupid cloud that lingered over maude preventing the snow from ever really warming up. Dropped in only to find the cornice broke and took a nice slab with it on the face causing a few tense moments negotiating the transition.

slabnit.jpg

P1010159.jpg

Made quick work of skinning up Fernow, such a nice skin line! at one point near the top I was skinning along a knife ridge of snow with big air on both sides. felt great! skied the sw face of Fernow from near the top and had to take my skis off for a 200 ft downclimb. super fun ski and want to get back earlier for a ski off the top.

Had time to ski Seven Fingered Jack that day but upon arriving at the col to a perfect bivy site and plenty of food decided to spend another night and get better ski conditions in the morning. Was able to ski 50 feet below the summit all the way down into the woods. While skiing a nice lil kewliar i got caught up in the perfect moment and didnt watch my sluff.

kewlio.jpg

got put on my ass and stopped myself with my whippet but not before my ski tip tapped the wall and broke a foot of the end of my ski :(

brokeski.jpg

still managed to link turns down into the woods, and then once at the valley floor the snow was continues again and skied to within a mile of the truck! great skiing!!!

line.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! Thanks for the report of a trip in a great area! I'd also be interested on the specifics of your approach and road conditions. Assuming next week allows me to get out, i still haven't given up on skiing this spring.

no way sol, plenty of other skis left! i am getting excited for alpine rock though, soon as i get a few more skis done. Geoff I can only climb if you lead everything, I quadruple pulled a butt muscle. And i hear you like taking care of injured climbers!!

And yes, approach was made via phelps, snow free and after some tree removal the road is drivable all the way up! go get sum, n. face of maude will be gud to go for a while!