how long/heavy till unable to carry kid in carrier

genepires

I was thinking of getting a new baby carrier as my free one sucks ass. But my boy is 2 years old (about 30 lbs and likes to run around frantically) and I was wondering how long others have had success with carrying little ones in carriers. Would a new carrier be a waste of money?

thanks

gene

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gene, I used a kids backpack/carrier for my children until they weighed about 40 lbs and were about 3+ years old. That exceeds the listed rating on most carriers, but I never had a problem. Around 3, my girls wanted to do SOME hiking, but hitch a ride from time to time. It's nice to have a comfortable pack when they start getting heavier! I personally would recommend that you spring for a nice one to use this summer or longer, then craigs list it.

I kept my son in the backpack until his sister outgrew the Baby Bjorn, so just about until he was four years old. After that, I carried my daughter in the backpack and let my son hike with us. He was generally good for five-six miles. After that, I had to pick him up, but by that point you're usually headed downhill, so carrying 70 pounds worth of child isn't that big a deal.

A big key is Powerbars and gatorade. As long as my kids have those two items, they can essentially walk forever...

For me weight wasn't the issue, as they got older they wanted to walk. But if they got real tired I'd toss 'em in the backpack.

BTW - I'm selling my kiddie stuff: kelty kid carrier, bike trailer, and baby jogger; link to craigslist:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bab/1154726434.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bab/1154721248.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bik/1154739604.html

Damn, I got to haul around 40#s! What about all my light weight gear? I can't handle that kind of backpack anymore. Maybe I should lay low till he can walk 3 miles in a straight line. He can do 3 miles now but he won't leave a 10 yard radius from the starting point.

Damn, I got to haul around 40#s! What about all my light weight gear? I can't handle that kind of backpack anymore. Maybe I should lay low till he can walk 3 miles in a straight line. He can do 3 miles now but he won't leave a 10 yard radius from the starting point.

Rattlesnake Ledge is a good first trail - even for a 3 or 4 year old. It's 2 miles or so each way with just over 1000 foot gain.

I'm sure you can carry them a lot longer than they want to be strapped in the thing.

With my kids, we stopped the carrier when my son daughter was 4.5 and my son 2. My daughter would complain so much to have to hike while her brother was carried that I just stopped taking the carrier along and he stated walking all the time... Hard life for the boy, but he's tough.

They could go about 4 miles from the get go. But we almost exclusivly hiked to lake, river or waterfalls (throwing rocks in the water is a good goal it seems) and bribed them shamelessly with candy and junk food. They might have liked hiking only because they'd get food they never would at home. No problem with me, I got to get out.

Enjoy the little bugger.

• 2 weeks later...

I started abusing mine with sugar at an early age.

The rule was "there are no rules when camping".

I carried two for awhile. One in front and the other in a pack.

At 60# I quit and bought a double jogger. They loved that thing cause I'd stock it. It was their little camper. Finally, they got too big for that and went to college.

Actually, they're still young (11 and 13) and love the outdoors.

I'm taking the 13 up Rainier in June at her request. They both love backpacking to lakes and hangin. We now have two little rubber rafts we take along. They are also pyromaniacs. Fires are a major draw.

Keep em wanting more. Sugar is the key.