Kids Ski Pulk (Sled)

Mjölner

Anyone have pictures of a homebuilt pulka to pull kids behind you when you ski? I have some plans from skipulk.com and have made a basic sled that works OK but has limited control on hills and I can't really figure out some good ways to rig a seat and an enclosure/windshield.

Anyone have pics to share?

Or...a professional one to sell (Kindershuttle etc)?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if you took a stroller with an enclosure, that works well, take the tires and other stuff that you don't need, and bolt that onto your sled?

I have a chariot setup with the ski attachment and it works well for roads. Too top heavy for traverses. Might not be enough floatation for deep unpacked snow.

What kind of control on hills are you talking about? traverses? skiing downhill? Not sure if a kid sled could be made for such mobile and dynamic things.

I teach high school woodworking and love challenges like this. We don't have enough snow in Middle Tennessee to warrant such a sled but I read several articles on building a pulk after seeing your blog.(never had seen the word "pulk" before today) After looking at the $495 and up price tag from the retail side versus the skipulk.com site for build your own why not give building one a shot. They suggest the best pole is flex pvc used in elk ranching. Used pole vault poles would also have the same flexiblity and tremendous strength. It would seem that a really good sled could be custom made for around a hundred bucks.

Well, actually getting the sled to track well can be solved with some of the ideas on skipulk.com. I'm having real issues with building a suitable enclosure. I used irrigation tubing to build a frame for the raincover for a BOB stroller to sit on top of. Unfortunatly its not long enough and wind/snow can get in really easily. I need a way to seal the little one off better from the elements.

Also, I'm using a crazy creek type chair. That dosn't work very well. Any other ideas? I am thinking of a sea kayaking type backrest and just closed cell foam on the floor of the sled.

with the sled, pad, and kid sitting essentially on the snow, it may get pretty cold. If you build a enclosure, how about a 1" gap between the sled plastic and the foam of whatever design. Maybe just a thin sheet of plywood with a couple of small wooden (or whatever else like plastic) "legs" to keep it off the plastic sled.

Replace the skinny skis with some cut-off fatties and a Chariot works pretty well. Best to have grandma buy that stuff as it gets pretty $$$.

2330459380_323be13f2c.jpg

While control is surprising good In all honesty the Chariot can be challenging when crossing (sidehilling) a slope. It definitely wants to tip over or pivot below you. This is not a recommended activity particularly by the mother of your children.

• 4 weeks later...

If the sled is wide enough, you could just bungie it to the sled. I have a wimpy little dog who might need a ride home on a snow walk so I was looking at bungie cord strap of a dog kennel on a sled. Looks pretty good and I bet a chariot would work also for a groomed road or something flat. Would tip over in any kind of powder.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just took my Chariot on a spin up hyak over to grand juction and back down silver fir.may be a 55 lb load with all the crap we bring(Friday in the sun, and down after the lifts closed) Got a bit of fish tail on the down hill grooomer run. the little one was straped in and wearing a helmet. I have had head banging in ruts so she mostly wears her helmet in the sled. the main concern with the Pulk is the lack of suspention over the bumps in the snow. That was our longest tour yet. than we had to go to ski acers and play on the magic carpet for a few hours. If grams did not send the toy, we would just modify a pastic sled. but it would not even compare.

PS What I do with our sled is not recamended by the manufacture, but it makes my kid laugh,

Edited by cstemley