Slick Rock

spotly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 9 mile ski to Slick Rock. McCall currently has over 3' of snow on the ground.

I've not been to Slick this year, but based on previous experience would expect a large (4-8') wall of snow standing perpendicular to the rock where the avalanches break.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't imagine it's changed much in the last few weeks as far as access? I found this topo - does the start look right? Seems it would be further left by the single dark black line?

Hey Kevin K, you took a whipper in there somewhere didn't ya. That should leave a lasting impression :)

face_route.jpg

The start to the original route is to the left up a left crack - traversing right accross a right trending dike (runout) to a dish/two bolt belay. Someone for an unknown and uneeded reason decided to retro bolt several of the original route belay stances. There is a bolted start to the right (shown on the photo above). There is also a route that goes more or less straight up from the bottom to the 2 wide cracks in to the right of the origional route (you can see the wide cracks in the photo above). and a runout mixed route to the left of the original route. There is lots of oportunity to explore other new/forgoton lines too.

Shapp

Edited by shapp

In answer to your weather question, I'm sure the face will be covered in wet, given that McCall is starting to get it's first few days above freezing, plus there is still about two feet of snow on the level in town, and about six feet on the level up at Slick Rock. Lots of ice coming down around now up there. You still need a snowmobile or about 3 hours of skinny skiing to get to the base. Hotel McCall's webcam is good for local condition checking. Hotel McCall webcam

Thanks - I'll find drier stuff at Post Falls.

Right on! Post Falls is where I cracked my rib on a rock sticking out of a climb I doinked off of. Love that place. ;)

I see the Mounties are scheduled for a cleanup out there. Perhaps they can be convinced to remove those annoying rocks from the routes - :)

Thanks - I'll find drier stuff at Post Falls.

Right on! Post Falls is where I cracked my rib on a rock sticking out of a climb I doinked off of. Love that place. ;)

I see the Mounties are scheduled for a cleanup out there. Perhaps they can be convinced to remove those annoying rocks from the routes - :)

I thought that was only at Dishman...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a call from Sandpoint friends, giving me and my daughter 9 hours to throw our shit together to jump on a 7 day Middle Fork of the Salmon river trip that had a cancellation opportunity. All other life functions come to a skreeching halt when that happens. We pulled it together along with another great couple from McCall, just getting back home last night about midnight. Seven days of bliss watching my 18 year old daughter go from a good class III kayaker to a very solid class IV kayaker. Great weather, great company, perfect water levels...wow. So Slickrock will wait for another day. I saw a rope team on it on the day before we left though. Huckleberries should be starting to ripen up there in a week or two.

Edited by mccallboater

• 2 months later...