Packing advice

rmncwrtr

We're getting ready for our spring break trip. 4 nights Hood/skiing. 3 nights Bend/skiing and then a day of climbing at Smith. I know what to pack for the skiing, but no idea for Smith. The last two times we were there was in August. Hot, hot, hot.

Any suggestions on what I should pack/bring for my three kids to make this an enjoyable outing for them?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I read this before heading out. Had the kids grab shorts. Thanks, RuMR!

We are not camping. Today is my oldest's 10th birthday so she got to pick the accommodations for the week. She loves camping, but where we are and will be this entire trip is about as far from camping as you can get. No. 1 criteria for her--a pool. But the plasma TV and xBox that come with the place sure don't hurt. The first words out of the kid's mouth, "Wow, this is even nicer than that house in Sunriver." And half the price which is even better for mom and dad! We're staying at our usual place in Bend, a friend's vacation home that the kids love and has a rock wall in one of the bedrooms, when we head down there.

• 2 weeks later...

After getting in some great days of skiing on Hood we headed to Bend on Thursday. Snow kept us from climbing on Friday, but Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day. All three kids did great. Zach, one of our guides, couldn't believe the change in them since the last time we climbed in late August. He'd been with us on our first Smith climb, too, in early August.

The 10 yo hopped on the route she couldn't do last time and went straight to the top. She even gave 5 gallon jug a try.

The 7 yo, who until now preferred bouldering, finally got what rope climbing was about and had a blast. He can't wait to go again.

My 5 yo surprised us all. She just headed straight up, unclipping as she went. People kept asking me how old she was. It was amazing to watch and I was such a proud mom. Zach couldn't see her as she neared the top so he asked her to come down. She also learned how to clip! The hardest thing for her was the hike out. She was one tired little girl.

I'll try to post a TR with pics once things settle down here. Still trying to get stuff unpacked and through the loads of laundry. Of course, the kids can't wait to hit the slopes this weekend and keep asking when we get to go to Smith again! My little one even started crying when she didn't get to go to the rock gym with me this morning.