Best School for a Climber U of O or OSU ?

KingsMM

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you want to study? Any reason to limit it to OSU or U of O? I went to OSU. The gym kind of sucked back them but I hear they built a new one. Was "free" to students too. Closest 1/2 way decent rock is the Columns in Eugene. Smith was about 3 hours. The town is definetly quieter than Eugene.

Oregon. there is more climbing up the McKenzie, may be a little closer to Smith, S. Sisters access and climbs in southern oregon. OSU may be slightly closer to the North Cascades by about 20 mins. but that is it. The Crux Climbing gym is nicer than U of O's wall anyway....Plus Eugene is better than Corvallis as a town.....

U of O, but again, why are you limiting it to those 2 schools? I thought that the Western States scholarship would get you in any western school that participates so that you pay the same tuition as a local in state would pay.

For instance, my daughter goes to the University of Hawaii, and pays less tuition that at either U of O or OSU. People from Hawaii, can come here and pay slightly more (one of the cousins did this and went to OSU), but it's the same price as in state tuition.

With that in mind, whats that school in Boseman, Mt? Or how about Boulder, Colo or somewhere close to Yos?

U of O, but again, why are you limiting it to those 2 schools? I thought that the Western States scholarship would get you in any western school that participates so that you pay the same tuition as a local in state would pay.

For instance, my daughter goes to the University of Hawaii, and pays less tuition that at either U of O or OSU. People from Hawaii, can come here and pay slightly more (one of the cousins did this and went to OSU), but it's the same price as in state tuition.

With that in mind, whats that school in Boseman, Mt? Or how about Boulder, Colo or somewhere close to Yos?

What bill is referring to is this:

WUE: Western Undergraduate Exchange.

http://wue.wiche.edu/

It minimum High school GPA and Standardized test scores requirements. I received a $7000 wavier every year for four years at Bozeman, MT.

Yeah, WUE is awesome, I'm getting about the same to go to WWU. For me at least I am paying in state and a half, which ends up working out to about the same as in state at UO and OSU if I remember correctly. Something to be aware of is there are different requirements for different schools, places like Boise State I think the requirement was around a 2.00 GPA.

I go to UO and i love it. Best choice i have made in a while. The student wall, is your typical student wall. V1s and 2s a few 3s and 4s... and mostly 5.9s, a few higher and lower. The columns are great, 5 min bike ride from campus, easy top roping. quite a few good outdoors stores (backcountry..) The outdoor pursuits program is great if you are starting out, and want to learn new activities in a safe way. The leaders in that program have the largest amount of knowledge i have ever been able to tap into! But i would say the true gem, is the outdoor program (different than the pursuits program), its a community/school co-op where anybody can become a trip initiator and they use OP resources/gear/vans, and you can do anything you want to for a trip.

http://outdoorprogram.uoregon.edu/

i have not been to OSU, so i dont know anything about them, as for UW, all i can say is Huck the Fuskies.

haha. Which ever you pick, enjoy yourself.

I spent three years at OSU. Even worked at the ODP while there (I understand that some of our schanigans are still in place twenty plus years later ;-).

To be honest neither school is that close to any real climbing. Yeah there are the Columns in Eugene but you are going to be traveling to get to other cragging. Similarly for running up a peak - you are going be to driving for a couple of hours.

I would just pick the school that best matches your educational plans. Then go to grad school, pick a good climbing town, and then take 8 years to get your degree. That worked for me.

Oh yeah as for the school rivalries - who gives a flying fuuck, when comes to sports Oregon schools in general stink. Fuuck a duck, beat a beaver.

Haha true that about the rivalries. Dont pick your school because of its proximity to climbing locals, or if you want to be a duck or a beaver (who in their right mind reallys wants to be one anyway?); although being close helps a bit, and will save gas money. Its really about getting a good education.

Although....i kind of like the 8 year idea...

i think the real question is, how close is the nearest crossfit training facility.

That was not the question. Read the topic again.

well jen, if you were registered earlier you would know how incoherent i really am and the fact i have a bachelor of arts degree doesn't seem to help my present reading deficiency. :)

so i suppose you think the smoke has settled since the ass off incident, huh. :/

Edited by pink