Attention GU heads

jon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jon- all those free form amino acids are pretty expensive. As it is, I can make a "tube" of GU for like .65 cents. I think that adding caffine would be a nice touch though.

the main thing to getting it "gu-like" is to use a strict ratio. Maltodextrin has some wacky crystaline properties where the point between super-saturation and disolved is hard to get. The "gu" seems to be best when it's not super hard (too little water), but not a clear runny liquid.

20 bucks is a fair price for the singles but the cheap way to GU is to buy a case of the 5.5 refill containers. I pay $36.75 for 10 packs or 67 cents/ oz as opposed 75 cents.

I admit, I am (mostly) a GU head.

Here is my Carbo Gel Manufactor hint of the day..... Whats with the water component of GU. Weight with no caloric benefit. Ethanol has 5.5 calories per gram and helps absorb nutrients through the stomach wall! tongue.gif" border="0

And besides a quarter ounce of pure alcohol every 45 minutes would make the day so much more pleasant. wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by dbb:
jon- all those free form amino acids are pretty expensive. As it is, I can make a "tube" of GU for like .65 cents. I think that adding caffine would be a nice touch though.

Yeah the stuff is a little expensive but would be fun to experiment.$70 for 100g of USP grade L-Histidine.$41 for 250g of USP grade Caffeine.

So would you say that the homemade GU works pretty well or when all is said in done a pain in the ass?

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: jon ]

You guys are nuts. [Moon]

As a consistent "do it yerselfer" I value my time at $30 per hour which is probably about how much time I would assume you are shopping for ingredients and manufacturing the goop. $30 is enough to buy a season's worth of GU and worth it not have one more thing I have to worry about getting done prior to going on a climb.

If you're worried about the litter, throw the empties in crevases and they won't reappear in your lifetime (just kidding!) [Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:
You guys are nuts. $30 is enough to buy a season's worth of GU

You ain't climbing enough. wink.gif" border="0 $30 will get you about 36 packets, at one every 45min-1hour that just gets me through those two-day continuous push routes. It'd take a good Benjamin's worth of GU to get a team up the Chech-Direct ehh!? rolleyes.gif" border="0

Besides, us dirtbags got plenty more time than money. Or maybe cook a little meth while the GU is cooling and if you don't blow up the house you could fund the season and get up routes really quickly shocked.gif" border="0

Terry- How is this Hammer stuff?

Rumor has it that if you send in 10 empty GU packets they will send you one free.

I kind of agree with Bronco about time involved, but I'm going through this stuff fast so cheaper is betta. It would be fun to try to make the stuff even if you don't save any money, like brewing your own beer. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

You ain't climbing enough.
wink.gif" border="0

Tell me about it!! frown.gif" border="0

Phil also comments that the hommade goop doesen't taste quite as good?? As if the real GU tastes yummy.

Oh yeah, anyone want to buy some homeade pickets, they are similar to the older SMC type but burlier. shocked.gif" border="0 About 5 Available in 24" - 40". Not for the lightweight minded. mad.gif" border="0

Hell, I will give them to you if you stop by my house in Monroe just to get them out of my garage.

Jon, I find Hammer Gel to be as tolerable as any of the gels, and they are way better than M&Ms, Snickers and the other "energy foods" we used to eat.

Check out http://www.pponline.co.uk/ and search for "gels" for some good info on the optimal use of the stuff. Basically, if you're not getting stuff into your bloodstream at the right concentration (7% - roughly 1 PowerGel along with 13 - 14 oz of water), it's just sitting in your stomach in a big lump or is too watered down to do much. Most of the studies are results of studying runners or cyclists. If you're using gels for weight issues, you may be better off just taking your preferred sports drink in the recommended concentration. Interesting stuff. Any nutrionists out there to comment or provide some expert opinons?

Terry