Rope Up 2007

olyclimber

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just want to allay the fears of some of the people considering their first foray to a Fall Ropeup. It can't be denied that some people go overboard with the drinking and end up too hungover to climb, but there are a lot of safe and sober climbers there to take out the newbies.

Icicle Canyon, for those who haven't been there, has several very nice roadside top rope areas with moderate routes. There are also several nice easy multipitch routes for those people who'd like to try that sort of thing for the first time.

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to some beer. :brew:

...After a night spent with drunk climbers they should be good and sober till they're at least 60 :P

Doubt it, when it comes to my daughter - she's a lemming. She'd see all of you wankers getting pissed and she'd end up being the one to do keg-stands. She's not even 3 yet, but she's sure as shit gonna drive me to an early grave, I tell ya!

I just want to allay the fears of some of the people considering their first foray to a Fall Ropeup. It can't be denied that some people go overboard with the drinking and end up too hungover to climb, but there are a lot of safe and sober climbers there to take out the newbies.

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to some beer. :brew:

Yeah. Actually, if the truth be known, I don't get drunk anymore. I just pass out after two beers. I know I can count on my friends at cc.com to resist sticking pine needles in my orifices and lighting them.

There is always an interesting mix of people there.

Cheers!

It's amazing how when you meet some avatars IRL. Most CC.com events are pretty spray free, unless Ivan or Layton come :)
What do you mean, Scott. You're telling us you aren't going to tell any lies at Ropeup? We're not THAT gullible. Yes, you'll be telling the newbies all about that FF 3 whipper you took. They'll be eating that up. Just you wait.

I'm thinking we may want to have a Special Olympics event/contest. Maybe a rope up a tree with a bell at the top? Fastest time jugging and ringing the bell wins a prize. I could even drum up an actual prize. Anyone interested?

If you want to see some fast folks doing this you need to go to Avery Park in Corvallis, OR on 9/16/07. The event is the PNW ISA Chapter Tree Climbing Championship. The competition is open to members from WA, OR, ID, BC, AK and the Yukon

There are 5 events, but one of the best speed events is the footlock competition. In this event you climb up a doubled rope 50' off the deck to ring a bell. Fast climbers do this in 19 seconds and they are protected but they don't use jugs.

I'll be there to attend a 4 day conference and to watch a bit of the event. The winner of the tree climbing competition gets to represent the PNW at the International Championship.

From the PNW-ISA site:

9:00 am to 5:00 pm

• Chapter Tree Climbing Championships - Avery Park in Corvallis, just a few blocks away from the OSU

Conference Center, will be the site of the annual PNW Chapter Tree Climbing Championships. Come watch as

climbers compete for the chance to represent the Chapter at the 2008 International competition.

Edited by Feck

I just found some good looking NA beer at Ballard Market today. Maybe I'll bring some unless CC springs for a NA keg. :brew:

I bet Jeff would pitch in with you for a NA keg. You know how he LOVES that "North American" beer!!! :grin:

Im sad to not be able to attend again after so many years coming out for the event. It's always been a blast and great to meet everyone. Kitty is still alive and kickin', but wont eat if Im not around, so my dedication must lie with her first.

Have fun and I look forward to hearing about it!!!!

Until next year... :brew:

I just found some good looking NA beer at Ballard Market today. Maybe I'll bring some unless CC springs for a NA keg. :brew:

I bet Jeff would pitch in with you for a NA keg. You know how he LOVES that "North American" beer!!! :grin:

You should ask Fern about the evening down at Smith when Jeff was offering us all NA beers until somebody pointed out that NA ment no alcohol. Jeff was bummed over his error in shopping. :lmao: