TR- "Tour de Vertical Worlds"

Jens

Yesterday my partner and I decided to try a plan that had been hatched. It was stormy everywhere in the cascades so we decided it would be a good day for the plan. We wanted to do every single route at all four Vertical World climbing gyms (Redmond, Everett, Seattle, Bremerton) that was 5.10a and under (no 10b's or harder) in a day. We harnessed up in the parking lot in the dark of the Redmond gym at 5:55am and promtly started in the lead room at 6am. After ticking all 85 routes later we were off to Everett. Everett was nice and quiet. After ticking all 45 routes at Everett, we were off to Seattle. We were runing way behind schedule and realized the Ferry ride to the Bremerton gym wasn't in the cards. We showed up at the Seattle gym at around 7:15pm and started to tick away. It was nice to be back on our home turf. We were only able to get 28 routes in at Seattle before they closed at 10pm. 16 hours of gym climbing minus a few hours for driving and eating. Our pace slowed as we were starting to zone. Route total: We both did 155 pitches. It was our "Nose in a Day".

Gear notes:Red Bull, GU, tea, sandwiches, beanie baby stuffed moose attached to my partner's harness.

Other Notes:

*Lowering that much blistered our hands!

*The "base camp lounge" area with sofas at Everett is cool.

*Seattle and Everett's ratings were the same. Redmond's ratings seemed slightly stiffer than most other gyms I've ever climbed at. Setters we liked were EO, rick, Devo, and a whole host of Seattle setters. Thanks for the good routes guys and girls!

*We used a whole bunch of rope tricks and swings to get more mileage in.

*Stuffed animals make good luck charms!

-Jens Klubberud

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...