How to get started

KitCatherine

He was "bungee jumping" with a climbing rope setup. He had done this many times, and in fact was renown for his experience with complex dynamic anchors for construction and recreational purposes. However, on the occasion of his death, he went to do one last jump at the end of the day, and didn't set the anchor lines properly. Without going into details of the complex anchor, sling slid along rope, crossed over where it was supposed to simply link with a carabiner, and the anchor broke when loaded.

no that is not what happened...his anchor did not fail...his jump line broke...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it broke after being left outside for months (by him, he knew it's age and condition b/c he left it right in the spot he hung it then returned to it). It was not a new rope.

He didn't die because of the rope's age. He had just jumped on it previously the same day. Using the same basic anchor system, and wanting to set a new record for length of a dynamic rope jump, he jumped from a new spot. It was determined by his friends who reconstructed the accident that the rope most likely broke because of friction at a point where it erroneously crossed over his anchor rigging, something he obviously overlooked when he jumped from the new location.

Danno wasn't dumb, but that sure can be argued because of his incredible risk-taking. How'd the "getting started" thread end up here?

Hey, KitCat, let's get you out climbing. The rock has warmed up in the spring-time sun, and it's calling your and your husband's names! :wave:

he may not have been DUMB, but he sure did a lot of STUPID shit...

Exactly my point. I couldn't agree more.

what's your definition of "dumb"? :confused:

:grin: I dunno: General irrational behavior including consistent bad decision-making or showing an IQ far below 100? Or specific acts, even by a "smart" person? Perhaps this? (except only for "his decision" to finally RELEASE the Brit hostages):

VAH10304041253_sp.jpeg

Let's be careful. Don't want this thread moved to spray!

And it broke after being left outside for months (by him, he knew it's age and condition b/c he left it right in the spot he hung it then returned to it). It was not a new rope.

He didn't die because of the rope's age. He had just jumped on it previously the same day. Using the same basic anchor system, and wanting to set a new record for length of a dynamic rope jump, he jumped from a new spot. It was determined by his friends who reconstructed the accident that the rope most likely broke because of friction at a point where it erroneously crossed over his anchor rigging, something he obviously overlooked when he jumped from the new location.

Danno wasn't dumb, but that sure can be argued because of his incredible risk-taking. How'd the "getting started" thread end up here?

Hey, KitCat, let's get you out climbing. The rock has warmed up in the spring-time sun, and it's calling your and your husband's names! :wave:

The rope was not that old, but it had seasoned longer than it should have. I didn't point to that as the only reason it broke, but it should be factored into the analysis of why he died. Underlying message: replace your gear, don't trust stuff after its been out a while, don't jump off perfectly good rocks without perfectly good equipment.

And I appreciate that his friends give their opinions on the reconstruction of what happened. But unless they are engineers who can reproduce the whole thing in a controlled environment and test it under the same strictures that engineers use to test material failures, well then, it is just an opinion.

The rope was not that old, but it had seasoned longer than it should have. I didn't point to that as the only reason it broke, but it should be factored into the analysis of why he died. Underlying message: replace your gear, don't trust stuff after its been out a while, don't jump off perfectly good rocks without perfectly good equipment.

And I appreciate that his friends give their opinions on the reconstruction of what happened. But unless they are engineers who can reproduce the whole thing in a controlled environment and test it under the same strictures that engineers use to test material failures, well then, it is just an opinion.

Arch, I don't think you've heard of ex-BD engineer Chris Harmston's lab tests and evaluation after the incident, which is some interesting reading. Surprised no one's mentioned this yet.

Rope age initially was a question considering Osman had left his ropes and rigging up for quite a while, although I can't remember exactly how long, before his last jump. Harmston did some personal testing of the actual rope and came to his own conclusions, among them that the rope was okay and he would have climbed on it himself. He concluded the rope broke not due to tensile overload but because it came into contact with another rope during the jump, with nylon rubbing on nylon. Here's Harmston's report in pdf format at AdventureGuides.com. Yes, just an opinion, but an informed one nonetheless.

I agree with your bottom line Arch that one always wants to ensure they're on "good equipment." For those just getting started--what this thread is supposed to be about--know that it is incredibly rare for a rope to break. Lastly, climbing IS dangerous, but there are ways to mitigate risk, least of which is to learn from others.