recent Mt. Ellinor beta?

aws

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably pretty melted out with snow patches this time of year. My dad started taking me up there when I was about 8. Scrambling the chute, even when completely dry, was pretty fun for a kid. It was my first summit and I've gone back every year since--mostly to shake off rust in late winter/early spring--there are some fun variations when the snow is harder. Have a good time, chute or basin trail. [Cool]

Just to let you know, the chute is melted out except for a bit of very hard snow in the upper meadow and the very top of the chute.

We exited the upper meadow by a rock gulley running up to the left as you head up. It was nice climbing (by Olympics standards) Steep and relatively clean of loose rock. No pro but good belay stances.

Did the whole thing as a scramble with a couple of belays at dicey spots. Much more fun than walking up the trail with the crowds. If you've never tried it, I recommend it. We saw 5 goats on the plateau beside A peak, includeing a newborn babe. My daughter was in heaven. (she's 8 and with a bunch of wall experience, this was her first trip out into the real world) And earned herself a sense of accomplishment that couldn't be had on the trail.

[ 08-02-2002, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: aws ]