Oldest summit register

fleblebleb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beckey on North Star and Agnes:

North Star

North Star was climbed by a U.S. Geological Survey party about 1904; they used the summit as a triangulation point.

Agnes

The first exploration of the mountain was in July 1909 when Asa Post, Walter Bergman, and a companion climbed sister peak Mount Asa (7060 ft). Agnes was not climbed until summer 1936: W. Ronald Frazier and Dan O'Brien made the ascent from the West Fork Agnes Creek valley, making a bivouac on the descent.... Agnes is seldom climbed, and all approaches are rugged (only fourteen parties succeeded by 1987). In 1947 Lawrence Nielson and Austin Post hiked the Yew-Agnes ridge and Asa ridge continuation, crossing the rugged pass between Asa and Agnes...

When I climbed Gunsight it looked like you could cross the blue glacier and descend down to a lake and head over to Agnes w/out any brush travel. This might be the way to do it... go in through downey creek and across dome and down. Would make a hell of a tour in any case.

quote:

Originally posted by wayne1112:

The oldest one I have seen is the one I found from 1945, after I did the first ever solo, and the most recent ascent in in 17 years. I did the 13th ascent total > It was a complete nightmare of a climb

OK , I guess I didnt say which peak it was !

St. Peters Dome in the Columbia River George, Oregon

• 15 years later...

The photo above was taken after I was nearly creamed by rockfall on the approach to the summit tower.  I jumped into a moat to escape the barrage, only to cut my finger on my axe as I tumbled in. 7/12/2011

It's amazing what memories are jogged just by taking a look at a photo.