Chimney Rock ++++

AlpineK

I'm headed to Cour d'Allene for the last week of September. I was going to try and get in a little climbing while I'm over there.

Is there a good guide I can pick up for Chimney Rock, Dishman? Also I seem to recall that there's basalt climbing near Post Falls and bouldering on Tubs hill.

I'd apprciate any info. Also has anyone been climbing up at Chimney Rock recently? Am I nuts to think about climbing there next weekend? And how's the road up there?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Piney, last I saw you was from a helicopter. I am from the area and my dad said they just got snow above 4000' so unless the weather changes I would rule out Chimney. Minne is good as is postfalls (for sport)... tubs was mostly bouldering last I was there. No other real alpine stuff close. There is a place in CDA that has a guide to PF and Minne is covered sufficiently in Smoot.

For Dishman, Minne, or Post Falls, pick up a copy of the Bland Guide at Mountain Gear on North Division or Mountain Goat at 12 West Sprague. Death Fall Wall at Post Falls stays pretty dry during rain. I haven't bouldered at Tubs Hill yet, but I'm pretty sure there is no guide out for it. If you are looking for Trad Climbing, Minne and Tum Tum are the places to go. I believe there are a couple crack climbs at McLellan, but I haven't been on them. If you want to climb sport, there are many, many options of all difficulty levels. Post Falls has the most bolted 5.10 and 5.11 routes, while Deep Creek, or one of the 3 limestone crags would be best for 5.12s and 5.13s.

The snow in Northern Idaho did not stick. Some friends of mine just climbed the Lions Head which is about the same height and near Chimney, and they said it was nice and dry. If the weather is good in Spokane, and atleast 60 degrees, you will be able to climb Chimney just fine.

The SP page that Klenke linked to will give you all the beta you need for approaching. You will need a high clearance vehicle for the road in. I posted a couple route pages to it, check them out. I have a copy of the Randall Greene guidebook for Chimney, you can borrow it if you like. The Lopez guide only has a couple routes, don't bother with it.

PM me if you are looking for a partner for Chimney.

AlpineK,

Just sent you a beta-filled PM. Martin (MCash) has good beta for you here. Actually, prime Chimney Rock, ID months are June-Sept (excuse me, Matt wink.gif)...I've been baked on up there in October 1987, but some of the coldest I've been in my life was up there in August a few years back. If weather has warmed by the weekend (highs near 70 in valleys), and forecast does not include rain, I'd go for it for at least a day shot. If there is any rain at all in the Fx, then you're likely to feel it up on the north Idaho crest.

Summitpost access info is confusing at best, and should be cleaned up. Best driving access is to follow, from East Priest Lake Raod, the Hunt Creek Road to Horton Ridge and the old lookout, about 10 miles on FS-type roads...best with high-clearance 4WD. Drive time from CDA is 2.0-2.5 hrs, and hike time is 1.0-1.5 hrs.

There are many good routes, but consensus of best route to summit is Illusions/Free Friends at 5.11. Have fun.

Edited to add: Good beta by Dane here at InlandNWRock.com .

Edited by pindude