girth pillar mt. stuart

bobbyperu

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It fell off prior to our '97 ascent. It only affects the last pitch where you have to traverse left into the new corner for a half pitch. Looking down the new corner, it looks like a great new route - a splitter LFC, but there's probably still a bit of loose stuff hanging out in there. Or who knows, maybe more has ripped off since.

thanx all for the info; jacktors did you find much debris on the lower pitches below the pillar? i will take a look see myself but was just curious, and danpatsmith, so you had a good time on it then? cool, thanx for the info. also since you seem to know the scoop on things, hows the lower north ridge to girth pillar as a climb? worth it, or does the line just lose its alpine mixed flavor without the ice cliff...,seems to me like a intersting approach. any thoughts?..

Bobbyperu,

Uhhhh, no, I did not have a good time on Girth Pillar. I broke a hold low down and took a bit of a tumble. I did not complete the route. I did go back a couple of weekends ago and retrieve some of my gear that had been rusting and bleaching away for the last four years. The approach pitches from the Ice Cliff glacier are generally sandy and crappy. Approaching via the lower N Ridge would be interesting, but might involve some tricky downclimbng/ rappeling to gain the Pillar.

wow thanx first of all bronco for your reading suggestions, and overall positiveness! way to go... oh and since its at the bottom of your tick list, i should assume that these stories you told me to read psyched you out?.. people get hurt. how many folks have done this route and have a positive experience..? i'm was mostly interested in pertenant info, but it seems i've drawn up a sore spot for some people, oh well. i'm intersted in checking this climb out so i'll just have to go take a look see and realize that finding good info before hand is pretty hit or miss. danpat hope the wounds have healed for you, and thanx for sharing your opinion.

Just came down from Colchuck yesterday and met a couple guys headed in to climb this route, and they mentioned that 'half' of it had fallen, & I understood them to mean as a result of the earthquake a month or so ago... they mentioned they'd gotten the latest beta on the route and GirthPillar from the gear store in Leavenworth, and that the owners had all the latest goodness on the route. Might be worth a call to check.

--Coondog.