pdx bamboo dig thurs. 5.13.04

Thrashador

We need help removing a healthy 12 ft. or so tall bamboo stand in SE Portland Thursday. Mañana! It's not timber bamboo it's fishing pole particularly Phyllostachys aurea (Golden Bamboo). The reward is free bamboo that otherwise goes for $75 per 12" container.pitty.gif

PM me for details. thumbs_up.gif

Edited by Thrashador

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bamboo is the only living thing that can outstrip the human race growth rate pound for pound. It can be used for building, clothing, sound barriers, screening, producing oxygen, and burns well. Old ice axes had laminated bamboo shafts. The day will come when we will turn to bamboo to save the planet from the effects of deforrestation. Plant some in your yard today. Then kiss your yard goodbye. Unless you have a panda bear.

The ryzomes go down 18 inches in some varieties. If you put in a hard plastic barrier that deep, it is easy to control.

My neighbor has a panda bear in his backyard and the damn thing won't shut up. With it's opposable thumb it knows how to unlatch the gate and roam the neighborhood leaving bamboo droppings everywhere. Stupid panda bears!

Bamboo is not as hard to contain as most people think - with or without the root barrier (though when I planted it in my yard - even a relatively slow spreading variety - I DID dig a 2 foot trench and line it with the plastic barrier). If you don't have the barrier, you just gotta cut off the rhizomes as they grow. I believe that most bamboo sends out the rhizomes once a year - like in October or something - and if you "root prune" it two or three times in the Fall the outgoing shoots will not survive. If they do go out and get established, well then you may have more of a problem.

The stuff draws an emotional reacion, though. My neighbor just cut off my 25 year old bamboo at the knees, going onto our yard to do so. It looks like hell. If the "Great Bamboo Dig" was in Seattle, I'd be there. boxing_smiley.gif

Panda Bears don't actually have opposable thumbs. They in fact have a highly derived radial sesmoid bone that is used to strip leaves off the bamboo stalks.

The Panda's extra 'thumb' has been used as an argument against creationism with the thought that if God created all creatures (rather than evolution) than he would have created the panda with a pefectly working thumb, rather than a mutated wrist bone.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I thought I was catbirdseat for a minute there. Never mind.

Sounds like Panda propaganda to me! Why don't you tell everyone your dirty little secret danielpatricksmith OR SHOULD I CALL YOU danielPANDAsmith!!!!????? The jig is up. I knew there was something funny about your furry Arc'teryx shell with matching pants gloves and hat. And stop eating all of the bamboo trail markers!!!

True, I work as little as possible. It is a gift. I am just trying to make my way to the presigious "wanker" position. This "mini wanker" thing is taking its toll on me.

I know some people that may be interested in the Bamboo. I will pass the word.

I had heard that pouring boiling water on the roots kills the bamboo. Seems to have worked on the stalks coming back up in my yard.

We're going to replant as much of the stuff as we can. The stand is not too big. Say 12'x4' with some culms 12'-16' tall. The carbide tipped chainsaws and sawzalls will be left at home.

Bamboo is the only living thing that can outstrip the human race growth rate pound for pound.

stfu. i dont even believe your statement. what about algae or phytoplankton or kudzu or rosie odonnel?

I read it ina book, not on the internet. It had big pictures and everything.

Actually, the book was called 'Bamboo' written by David Farrelly. I met him in Mexico between Tequila binges. I like the quote and I am stiking with it.

Plankton is not oxygen producing and Rosie O'donnel is a corporation. What the hell is kudzu? Camel yogurt?

The day will come when we will turn to HEMP to save the planet from the effects of deforrestation. Plant some HEMP in your yard today. Then kiss your yard goodbye.

Bug I totally agree with you on the hemp thing man.

On a side note, I grew up in a house built by Jim Whitaker that had bamboo growing indoors in the stairwell. Didn't seem to spread into the livingroom or anything. Maybe just build some walls around it an call it good.

K_Y_L_E outed me. I am really a Chinese Panda illegally living in the US. My only options were the zoo or pretend my fur was a prototype one piece pile suit. I wonder how many climbers have been lost after I ate their bamboo wands. Truth be told those orange leaves at the top taste like plastic.

The day will come when we will turn to HEMP to save the planet from the effects of deforrestation. Plant some HEMP in your yard today. Then kiss your yard goodbye.

Bug I totally agree with you on the hemp thing man.

On a side note, I grew up in a house built by Jim Whitaker that had bamboo growing indoors in the stairwell. Didn't seem to spread into the livingroom or anything. Maybe just build some walls around it an call it good.

Hemp contributes to greenhouse gasses. Keep it in your lungs. mushsmile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
K_Y_L_E outed me. I am really a Chinese Panda illegally living in the US. My only options were the zoo or pretend my fur was a prototype one piece pile suit. I wonder how many climbers have been lost after I ate their bamboo wands. Truth be told those orange leaves at the top taste like plastic.

You are really named "Furry Pi"? Thank you for allowing Nodddder to post.