Olympia Pub Club?

Off_White

I've been contemplating agitating for an Olympia/South Sound pub club modelled on Portland's "Rocky Butte" model. Starting next Wednesday, May 12th, I'd like to have a casual climbing/drinking event at my place in Tenino. Ideally, this would evolve into a weekly after work play session, where one could just show up and expect to climb. Here's a pic of the right side of the crag:

342791-cliff%20topo%20-%20right%20side%20labelled%20small.JPG

There is one more short 5.10 to the right, and about 25 more climbs to the left. I'm afraid the easiest climb so far is a 5.9 corner down at the far left end, but this sort of climbing lends itself well to developing a choreography, and things that seemed preposterous your first time start to come together after a few visits, so don't feel put off if the numbers seem intimidating. Conversely, there are a number of 5.12's for those more ambitious, and some potential for other new routes. The property is of course intoxicant friendly, and does feature a great fire pit down in a hollow. Drinking could move to either the Landmark Tavern or the Powder Keg (on the way back to Olympia) for those who find an indoor facility more conducive to inebriation.

I don't really want to post an address and map on the web, but PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the info.

5a1a55aea0d39_342791-clifftopo-rightsidelabelledsmall.JPG.f03344bf21424525fb4c5c1db55ec683.JPG

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes Sobo, very astute, it is indeed Tenino sandstone, which is much more solid than Peshastin. The tallest route is only 75' high, and it is an old quarry. Mostly blasted for rip rap, the stone from this quarry went into the first jetty at Westport around 1912. It is in my front yard, and I can see one edge from where I sit right now.

It is somewhat open to the public. You have to have a waiver on file, and you have to call (and speak to a real person) each time you come out. Oddly enough, these hoops are enough to dissuade most visitors. Maybe they've just heard that the owners are assholes. yellaf.gif

I'm open to a picnic, but it seems like folks around here usually have better fish to fry on the weekend than a 75' high sport crag, and the south facing nature of the crag tends to be pretty hostile in the middle of the day during nice weather. As I mentioned earlier though, there is limited public access, so those of you who are both curious and more distant are welcome to make arrangements that suit your schedule.

CP - What you can see from the train is the Lemon Hill Quarry, which has only a very small section of "natural" crag and a huge section quarried for blocks. This one is just east of Tenino, on the north side of the valley. Tree growth has been slowly reducing it's visiblity, but you still can't miss it if you're paying attention.

Right, I know exactly where you're talking about now. After I thought about it more I figured that was the one you were talking about. I've eyed that many times on my way to and from Rainier. I had heard that there were routes on that wall but never bothered to investigate any further for some reason. Anyways keep me posted and I hope to see you on Wed. bigdrink.gif

When I lived in Oly we once went climbing at some quarry next to the Skookumchuck Reservoir.. maybe this is the same one?? don't remember the name and we didn't (oops) get permission. there were some bolted routes but we had trad gear so we did that.

did a couple fun climbs, then on one, after I had rapped down off of it, and my two buddies were still at the top, one of them suddenly said, "WHOA... did you hear that?" well apparently they had heard, within the cliff right next to them, some BIG chunk of rock shift, and make some kind of "WHHMMP" sound.

well so they rapped down and we got the hell outta there. kinda jaded all of us against climbing at quarries and other places where the hills are shaken every now & then by explosives. I dunno, were we just being paranoid??

No, that was a different quarry, which became active again several years ago. All those routes are gone. It's some bizarre granite variant, supposed to be the hardest stone quarried in the state. When you climbed on it, it hadn't been that long since it was worked, and the rock was more fractured. The quarry at my house is sandstone, and it was last blasted in 1912. There are a couple huge flakes that merit some caution though. blush.gif Of course, that's true of most climbing areas. Yosemite has had some events in the last few years.

Wednesday coming around again, so I thought I'd bump this up. Last week was fun, with four of us out until headlamp time. Looks to be a couple more this week. Here's an old TR butt shot of The Manly Wham (mebbe some new/better pics after this week)

1970hmmm-med.jpg

So last week we had 4 climbers and the beer was Milwaukee's Best. This week we had 6 climbers and the beer was Henry's. Do I detect a trend? I guess this means with 8 we'll get Pyramid, but I think we'll have to have at least 20 to qualify for a pony keg of Terminal Gravity. yellaf.gif

• 2 weeks later...