CC.OM SPRING PICNIC

mattp

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pictures shows Dryad, climbing on Chumstick Snag during last Fall's CC.COM ropeup.

CRISIS CRISIS CRISIS CRISIS CRISIS CRISIS CRISIS

Picnic Shelter Number One at Magnuson Park burned down last night! I'm not kidding. This is no April Fools joke. Thats what the Parks and Recreation lady said. We may want to go to Greenlake instead, because I think there is no power outlet at the other Magnuson Park shelters. I'll check on this.

*&%# vandals!!!!!!!

Damn! Must have been that "Save Magnuson Park" contingent. The act of arson was probably instigated by its leader. grin.gif

I suppose in a pinch we might be able to erect a large tarp tent if anyone has one, but, I agree: Greenlake or a back up location would be better.

Good point, Mr. Rurp. Aurora is labelled on your highway map as "US 99," I think, and you could drive about a half mile north of N. 50th street on said highway 99 and look for the exit I've described. However, I can and should provide more better directions for those who don't want to blunder their way around the mysterious north end of Seattle. Also, I've noted already that the "exit" off highway 99 can be hard to spot. If you miss it you end up going to W. Greenlake Way N., and circling back. (If this happens to you, exit FAST and turn right, then look for the "service drive" I describe below.)

---

If I were you, and if traffic on I-5 is not too bad, I'd head for the N. 50th Street exit on I-5. That is Exit 169.

Head west on NE 50th Street, and it will quickly become N. 50th Street. About .7 miles from the highway,you will reach a stoplight at Greenlake Way Way N. (the sign may say Stonelake Way N.), and here I would turn right. Head north on Greenlake Way N., 1/4 mile, and turn left just past the ballfields (it may say W. Greenlake Way N.). If you miss the turn and go straight, you will end up cirling around Greenlake.

Drive a short way on W. Greenlake Way N., and look for a sign listing several things, including "picnic area" or "picnic shelters" on the left.* It is no more than 1/4 mile. A service road winds up the hill and you will find yourself in a parking area alongside Aurora Avenue (highway 99). If you miss this turn onto the service road, you will end up going under or onto Aurora.

After driving up this service drive, you should head right and look for a picnic shelter that resemble's what I've put on the "announcement."

You should see your friends, but maybe I'll sweet talk some artist into drawing a big snaffle on a piece of posterboard or something.

---

*Sorry, I can't remember exactly what that sign says when you turn left off W. Greenlake Way N. I'll see if I can check it out on the way to work tomorrow.

---

P.S. Seattle City Parks are weird sometimes, and the place is a little hard to find, though not for Mr. Rurp--I'm sure. And it'll be worth it.

Bring horse shoes, if you have them.

DIRECTIONS - NEW/IMPROVED.

Take exit 169 from I-5 and head west on 50th Street. NE 50th becomes N. 50th and there is a 5-way intersection at Greenlake Way/Stone Way about .7 miles from the highway. Get in the right lane as you approach this intersection, so you can go straight ahead rather than being forced diagonally leftward.

.2 miles beyond Greenlake Way/Stone Way, you will see an underpass ahead. Swerve left to go up a ramp that leads onto Aurora Avenue North (highway 99). Turn right (north) on Aurora.

.5 miles up Aurora, turn right. The turn is poorly marked but a sign does say "Picnic Shelters, Horse Shoe Pits, Lawn Bolwing, and Park Closes 11:00 pm."

Immediately inside the park, turn left and park. Look to the right (east) and you'll see Picnic Shelter #6. We will be there.

woodland6.jpg