Spring Ski In

AlpineK

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I can make it, I'm up for this. Jopa, ken4ord, I'll be bringin my board as well, so we'll be able to stand our ground against the two-plankers. wink.gif

Well in a way I am a two planker too, since I do ski uphill. laugh.gif

So, you're really like a snowsport-hermaphrodite.

If I can make it, I'm up for this. Jopa, ken4ord, I'll be bringin my board as well, so we'll be able to stand our ground against the two-plankers. wink.gif

Well in a way I am a two planker too, since I do ski uphill. laugh.gif

So, you're really like a snowsport-hermaphrodite.

No not really since it is not natural, but manufactured, I am more like a trans-boarder. yelrotflmao.gif

I hate to be a party pooper, but I was just at the east end of the road a few hours ago and chatted with a couple of locals. Besides a small washout at Varden Ck (driveable, but needs to be fixed), the road is solid snow from the hairpins looking east, according to their bike ride TR. Also apparently the stuff near Diablo that happened last fall is pretty bad, they said the DOT is anticipating 30 minute waits to get through whatever they have in place. On the east side at least the snow's getting pretty thin pretty fast.

If Jordo is around, maybe he can shed more light on the spring road construction stituation vis a vis the westside stuff.

I'm having surgery on April 1 but still hope to come to the Spring Ski in, I'll have to just be the drunk Den Mother/housefrau. I will need a ride because I doubt I'll have it in me to drive that far!

Alasdair and I went last year and had a great time. Didn't even bring skis with us.

Exactly,

You've got your pick of Washington Pass spring alpine climbing or spring skiing.

And if Goat Wall is dry you can climb multi pitch sport.

fruit.gif

WENATCHEE – Wednesday afternoon, March 24th, the two WSDOT maintenance crews working to open SR-20, the North Cascades Highway, met just west of Rainy Pass. “There’s bare pavement from Newhalem to Mazama,” said Okanogan Maintenance Superintendent Dan Gates, “ Now, the widening and trimming phase begins.”

That work will take longer than past years, said Gates, “We found there was a lot of rain in November and December that buried rocks and trees in the snow.” “We can’t use the snow blowers and will continue the widening using front end loaders.” Gates says that crews will also have to reopen culverts under the highway that got clogged with rocks, mud and trees, “So we won’t experience water over the roadway and more washouts this spring.” “We also found several places where we’re going to have to patch and repave before the highway can open to traffic.”

If weather continues to cooperate, contractors who repaired the major washouts last fall at Varden Creek on the Eastside and near Diablo on the Westside, are scheduled to install guardrail, do final paving and striping beginning on April 5th. “Our maintenance crews will be fixing the damaged spots we’ve found higher up, at the same time,” said Gates.

I think we should plan on having our party either the 24th of April or the 1st of May.

bigdrink.giffruit.gif

Sounds like a great time. I'd be up for the E face coulior route on cutthroat if conditions cooperate and it seems like it might be good if anybody is interested in doing it with me. I did it last year and it was a good time. Combine that with the sweet ski of cutthroat's south shoulder and it makes for a pretty good day. thumbs_up.gif

Sounds like a great time. I'd be up for the E face coulior route on cutthroat if conditions cooperate and it seems like it might be good if anybody is interested in doing it with me. I did it last year and it was a good time. Combine that with the sweet ski of cutthroat's south shoulder and it makes for a pretty good day. thumbs_up.gif

I am up for whatever. Just show me the line and I will ride it. I know that I want to get at least one day on the rock though.

Hey anybody else able to go up Thursday night early friday morning? I want to make the most of it that weekend.

I am up for whatever. Just show me the line and I will ride it. I know that I want to get at least one day on the rock though.

Hey anybody else able to go up Thursday night early friday morning? I want to make the most of it that weekend.

I dont think you'd be intersted in riding the E face coulior on cutthroat unless you dig skiing 75 degree ice and rock pitty.gif

The south shoulder approach route, however, is a great ski and makes a nice topping on doing the route.