Squamish Film Night

murraysovereign

I missed this when it showed in Whistler a few weeks ago, but by all accounts it's a really good show. For any who will be in the area, keep this in mind. Proceeds go to a local high school Outdoor Rec program:

Award-winning documentary In the Shadow of the Chief

Squamish premiere set for February 6

Fundraiser for Don Ross Outdoor Leadership Program

The award-winning documentary In the Shadow of the Chief, will have its Squamish premiere on Friday, February 6, 7:00 pm & 9:00 pm at the Eagle Eye Theatre, Howe Sound Secondary School, Squamish, British Columbia. Tickets are $10 and are on sale now at Climb On!, Valhalla Pure Outfitters (Squamish location only), and Don Ross and Howe Sound Secondary schools.

The event is a fundraiser for the Don Ross Outdoor Leadership Program and will feature a silent auction from 6 pm – 9 pm in addition to the screening.

"We want this event to be a showcase of the wealth of outdoor opportunities in the area and the outdoor businesses that operate in Squamish,” says Don Ross Leadership Program coordinator, Michele Desjardins. “The large foyer area outside the theatre will be set-up with photos, silent auction items, and displays from the many local businesses that provide services to the outdoor community "

“We see this as a great opportunity to give something back to the community that inspired the film,” says producer, Angela Heck.

In the Shadow of the Chief premiered at the Whistler Film Festival, December 5, 2003, where it received the People’s Choice for Best Film at the Festival and sold out two screenings.

Fuelled by the desire to see what lay behind a one-line description in a climbing guide, director Ivan Hughes explores the story of two young climbers, Jim Baldwin and Ed Cooper, who in May 1961 decided to try the impossible—a first ascent up the ‘unclimbable’ Stawamus (Squamish) Chief.

Using never-before-seen archival footage, In the Shadow of the Chief takes a unique look at a part of climbing history and the spirit of the community that rallied behind them. The film includes interviews with climbing enthusiasts and pioneers Dick Culbert, Ed Cooper, Jim Sinclair, Tim Auger, Hamish Fraser, Adam Diamond, Conny Amelunxen, Corrine Lonsdale and Kevin McLane. It marks the directorial debut of Ivan Hughes and is produced by Angela Heck.

The Squamish premiere is supported by

The Chief, Mountain FM, and the Howe Sound Inn and Brewing Company.

For additional information, contact: Angela Heck

(604) 879-3456

angela@fringefilmworks.com

See you there wave.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pub Club after the film is a great idea - I'll be there for sure.

Can't comment directly on the beer situation, as I quit drinking some years ago. From what I've been hearing the beer now is dramatically better than it was a year ago. They hired a brewer from California(?) about 2 years back, who came highly recommended, with a solid resume and reputation, but he turned out to be a serious disappointment. So they got rid of him, and have since been training someone in-house to run the brewery. I believe he's doing a pretty good job, but again, I can't comment directly so am basing my impression on other people's comments in casual conversation. Hardly scientific, but there it is.