Denali by human power

erden

Hi guys;

I am posting this as an announcement for the upcoming presentation that I will make. The presentations will be about an hour long, and will be followed by a half hour Q&A session.

I will show fewer slides than at the rope up, after all those of you guys at the rope up got the special preview wink.gif If you were not there, or if you have friends in mind who would be interested in seeing these, please do pass on the word.

Erden.

Upcoming Presentations:

Wednesday, October 29th 7 PM

The North Face Store, Seattle, WA

Thursday, October 30th 7 PM

REI Flagship Store, Seattle, WA

On February 1st, Erden Eruç left Seattle on his bicycle towing a trailer loaded with his climbing gear to reach the summit of Denali (Mt. McKinley) in Alaska. With him was all that he needed to survive the winter conditions on the Alaska Highway.

On May 1, he met his friends; together they walked in 67 miles to Kahiltna Base Camp over glaciers, and then climbed the mountain. With two other teammates Erden stood on the summit on May 29th, the highest point in North America.

The return trip lasted until August 24th – roundtrip odometer reading was 5,546 miles. It had been a trip that set the stage for the rest of Erden’s life journey to reach the highest summits on six different continents while circumnavigating the world by human power.

For more information on the journey and the non-profit Around-n-Over that Erden started to produce news and educational content about the journey and to share its know-how for future human powered, self propelled challenges of similar nature, please go to:

Around-n-Over

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difficult parts? Nobody told me there would be any wink.gif

I think the most difficult part was the start. Deciding and then gathering the courage to say that this is what I want to do was very difficult. I had talked about this nutty circumnavigation idea since 1997, and now was time for action.

I think the length of time it took to actually get on the road reflects the difficulties that I faced. That I had to size up the challenge, that I had to let go of the life in the city, that I had to maintain a forward looking attitude go without saying. These apply to the rest of this life journey as well...

All the rest fall into the problem solving category, to be handled as we go.

Erden.

"Difficult we will do immediately, impossible will take longer..."

Remember, Lambone, that my dream was to circumnavigate the world by human power. I added the six summits in tribute. The seventh summit does not fit my dream and it is out of the way.

This, however, does not mean that I will not climb Vinson one of these days. How I will climb it, time will show...

Erden.

cracked said:

j_b said:

rowing across a few oceans seems like a lot of work, both physically and mentally. how do you think your psychie is going to hold up? do you have any fears?

I think he'll be fine, doc. You a psychiatrist? rolleyes.gif

nope, but i undoubtedly have a better idea than you do of the psychie required for an extensive solo trip.

anyhow erden doesn't have to answer questions he does not like. it just seems that an open discussion of fear could be beneficial to anyone reading this board. wave.gif

j_b said:

cracked said:

Isn't it spelled psyche? Smart guy. rolleyes.gif

hey kiddo, why don't you go learn your knots or something.

if you don't have anything of value to contribute to this thread, you know the way to spray wave.gif

oh you mean like trying to dishearten a guy who is taking on a huge undertaking... i think you got that covered guy. rolleyes.gif

Personally, the idea of rowing across the ocean solo would scare me WAY more than the prospect of climbing any of those peaks, or even bicycling solo across Asia.

Is it your intention to haul your bike and gear on the boat, a la Goran? It's hard to imagine hauling that much food, let alone 200+ pounds of bike & climbing gear, on a one-man rowing dinghy.

Yes, I have my fears.

53ef4770.jpg

and I do worry about those whom I may leave behind.

562f4770.jpg

The psyche is not any different than that of a climber on a remote place like Baffin Island testing his will to achieve. I do worry about the isolation and being away from home and civilization on long stretches. The experience will be akin to solitary confinement at times tho I will have access to email and forecasts via satelite phone.

As for the boat, it will be a self righting, self bailing boat that is specifically designed for the task. It will look something like:

0547.jpg

rowing across a few oceans seems like a lot of work, both physically and mentally. how do you think your psychie is going to hold up? do you have any fears?

Not discouragement but reality-

You cant pull over for a mocha while crossing the ocean. There is now guess on my part- this sort of effort will certainl be the most dangerous.

I'll eat some donuts and watch.

Have you researched about parties that have rowed across the atlantic for instance? it is a little bit smaller than the pacific...

I hope you have rescue beacons.

The storms are not an avoidable thing. Endurance through them will be necessary.

Done being mother.

Good luck. Get the latte en route.