Full Moon Rope Up

chelle

snaf.gif roped up and ready to Partay!

Fence_Sitter said:

whiny bitches... drink your beer... climb... and bull shit... ungratefull bastards... dont see you guys doin shit... beck's bustin his ass... wanna be 'fringers' with 9-5 ers... rolleyes.gif y'alls just a bunch of REI sapps in denial... pitty.gif

I think the issue is that some people don't see the need to do a bunch of shit. They figure we could have a party if we all end up in the same campground on the same w/e. rolleyes.gif Then again maybe we aren't that organized.

I'm sure the 9-5ers feel more need to be fringe than the rest of us. At least to pretend, relief from real life and all that you know...

Props to Beck for his work, but maybe he is doing more than he needs to???

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if anyone decides the rope-up is weak they can head down to 8-mile groupsite and hang with the 50 or so canadian college kids that'll be there ... like erik and e-rock did last year yellaf.gif ... icicle canyon is gonna be crooooowwwwwddddedddd.

fern said:

if anyone decides the rope-up is weak they can head down to 8-mile groupsite and hang with the 50 or so canadian college kids that'll be there ... like erik and e-rock did last year yellaf.gif ... icicle canyon is gonna be crooooowwwwwddddedddd.

Wait for the american response to the canuck 4th of july shenanigan. smirk.gifhahaha.gif

I think that we should do some informal trail maintenance as well as the official FS kind. A trail is a trail. People are going to use it, it might as well be well-built to reduce erosion. The FS is never going to sanction the informal trails to the crags. To do so would mean they are responsible for them and they can't afford it. As long as no one tells them, we can do as we please. I think someone has done a marvelous job on the trails at Castle Rock. That is what we should emulate at Careno Crags.

catbirdseat said:

I think that we should do some informal trail maintenance as well as the official FS kind. A trail is a trail. People are going to use it, it might as well be well-built to reduce erosion. The FS is never going to sanction the informal trails to the crags. To do so would mean they are responsible for them and they can't afford it. As long as no one tells them, we can do as we please. I think someone has done a marvelous job on the trails at Castle Rock. That is what we should emulate at Careno Crags.

what about some informal snaffle destruction up at bwidge queek walk or smoke a thai wall. snaf.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Smoke a thai wall is a perfect spot to put in a new trail. Bring the napalm and farming tools that can handle the steep slope. I welcome people to get brained on the 1973 route. I hear the other route left is more solid rock but they (friends) never finished it so that's not necessarily 100% true then.

Fence_Sitter said:

whiny bitches... drink your beer... climb... and bull shit... ungratefull bastards... dont see you guys doin shit... beck's bustin his ass... wanna be 'fringers' with 9-5 ers... rolleyes.gif y'alls just a bunch of REI sapps in denial... pitty.gif

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BECK, DON'T LET THE BASTARDS GET YOU DOWN. TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE SPRAYING IN A NEGITIVE WAY JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS AND THEN MAKE YOUR COMMENTS.

What the Hell? confused.gif I don't get how your segregation works. We are all climbers here, and we know and accept (even welome) the freaks in our community. WTF, Beck? Banning Rat? (Be careful, or you may be banned next year). Controlling climbers on an October weekend at an "event"? It's like trying to herd cats! hellno3d.gif

Take a chill pill, man - I'm with Cavey on this one.

Alpine, too.

vive grassroots! boxing_smiley.gif

p.s. since when are vertical stewardship and partying incompatible? confused.gif

erik said:

i just want to make sure i can get rowdy drunk and talk mad shit all i want? guzzle beer! beck you say someone might cut us off from the free beer if we are unruly? that is all i wanna know?!!?

no worries brah... that is why i am bringing the jack... then we can run up and down icicle creek road looking for the canuck hotties... yellaf.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

erik said:

i just want to make sure i can get rowdy drunk and talk mad shit all i want? guzzle beer! beck you say someone might cut us off from the free beer if we are unruly? that is all i wanna know?!!?

no worries brah... that is why i am bringing the jack... then we can run up and down icicle creek road looking for the canuck hotties... yellaf.gif

Ain't no such thing.....unless you get REALLY drunk, then Dru might start looking good... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Sphinx said:

Fence_Sitter said:

erik said:

Ain't no such thing.....unless you get REALLY drunk, then Dru might start looking good... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

i dont know what kinda bars you've been too, but there are some hotties up north eh... just dont go to my school hellno3d.gif

Last year we had an excellent Rope Up. We did next to no planning, but a bunch of folks showed up.

We had free beer, moonlight climbing, a bonfire, and even Beck was allowed to have free beer.

This year Beck wants to take us big time. Doing stuff like Ramrodding a date was a good thing. Organizing some kind of clean up/trail thing is also good. However Beck has not even ask Terminal Gravity if he would like to donate beer again. Instead he has us all hooked up with lesser quality beer and servers wazzup.gif. Further, because of petty animosity, he wants to deny beer service to a long time WA state climber. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

I applaud Beck for some of the things he’s done thumbs_up.gif, but I think he’s making way too many decisions about our party without any kind of input. thumbs_down.gif

Beck said:

PLUS, Outdoor Research should be stewarding the kegs of Pyramid Brewery at the Ropeup as well... they had heard about Rat's performance hoarding the group pitcher at last years ropeup, however, and he has been 86'd from the beer garden.

a little bird must've told 'em.

this shit is all too funny. take an informal gathering with one very good "sponsor" (terminal gravity), add a pompous industry hack with delusions of grandeur, and what do you get? a corraled group of well-behaved consumers subjugated by advertising. "stewards of the vertical environment", "stewarding", "partnering"?---blah, blah, fucking blah. the only potential positive aspect i can see is that, with nelson involved, maybe kit will show his mug.

burn it clean.

Mr. K,

I agree that "corporate" sponsorship and official (commercial) beer servers do not sound like my idea of an end of the season climber's celebration, but perhaps it is OK that Beck wants to upsize and commercialize Ropeup. Yes, the event may turn out to be one that you and I are less interested in, but if he can draw a crowd of climbers and bring together such diverse factions as the American Alpine Club, Access Fund, CC.Com, and the Leavenworth Ranger District, that would be a good thing in my opinion. We've tried to get something going with the local Forest Service office before, and I believe the Access Fund has had limited success in trying to get projects going over there -- if it takes sponsorship from CascadeDesigns and Pyramid for them to get interested in climbers, I guess that is OK by me. I don't really know about the Rat thing but I can only assume it is either some kind of a joke or a rediculous misunderstanding.

Like Dru said, we can always head down to the group campsite at the other campground if Beck gets too official on us.

Beck - I didn't mean to start a big debate on the Rope Up. I think you are taking some people's comments too personally. You did have the idea for a climbers gathering back in 2001 when pub club got started. I think we began doing organization for that late Sep event in late August. Lot's of us who are speaking up about grass roots organization helped out with the event. It seems like you think this is your event and a little acknowledgement of others who have been involved from the get-go would be nice. We all brought beer, shared food, and most importantly had a great time. I think there were 20-30 people that showed up.

Last year the shin dig was in Oct and I don't recall that a lot of planning other than posting a date and someone from Oregon (I think Tex and JK) agreeing to bring a tap and pick up TG's keg. We had over 40 people last Oct. and it was a blast!

This year we started talking about a date in the spring so people could do some planning for their schedules. There was a pretty big debate about which weekend and somehow it got resolved and the date was chosen. I haven't heard/seen any requests for assistance with planning and had just started to think that we should get stuff underway since it's almost August. Then I get the notice about the event from the AAC.

No big deal, but I wouldn't have minded a little group brainstorming or helping you with organization. I guess I'll have more time on my hands and just show up and see how it all turns out. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Edited by ehmmic