More North Cascades trivia

Lowell_Skoog

Boy I'm having a hard time keeping my mind on work today... So how about some more trivia:

What two North Cascade peaks were named by the first ascenders after a famous Northwest climber and his wife? The peaks face each other across a wilderness valley. Later, the names given by the 1st ascenders were officially changed. Give me the official names and, for extra credit, the original names.

(Hint: Both peaks were first climbed in 1938.)

If that one's too easy, suggest another one!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And while you're working on that one, here's another:

It's notoriously difficult to get the U.S. Board of Geographic Names to rename mapped features. But in 1964, the Board renamed a North Cascade peak after a prominent Mountaineer who died three years earlier. Who was the climber and what peak was named for him?

For extra credit, what Washington ski area also has a memorial to this man, and where is it displayed?

You're right about Spickard. The first question hasn't been answered correctly yet.

Have you seen the Warren Spickard memorial plaque in the summit lodge at Crystal Mountain? He was one of the people who surveyed and founded the ski area.

I'll try to think of more, but feel free, anybody, to toss out your own!

leejams said:

What about Mt. Berge? Was that the original name?

Nope. Was Mt. Berge named after the fellow who died on Mt. Baring? I don't have my Beckey books with me to check.

Here's a big hint on the first question. Both peaks were named by the Ptarmigan climbing club.

Okay, another one for the hopper...

It's rare in the Cascades for peaks to be named after climbers. It's even rarer for a peak to be named after the first ascenders, and rarer yet for the name to be accepted while the climbers are still living. Name a peak which is named (in Beckey's guide, if not on the map) using a contraction of the names of the two couples who made its first ascent (around 1970, I think).

Hint, you can call me a flaming donkey if you get it right.

Lowell_Skoog said:

Dru said:

Who or what is Mox anyway?

As I recall, Beckey wrote, "The wimsy of this appelation is lost on those who know the area." So, even he doesn't know.

Ya, but that doesn't answer my trivia question smirk.gif

PONCHO&LEFTY said:

Can't figure out second peak, but the first is Jberg.

How about Formidable aka Daider.

Right. The Ptarmigans called Mt Formidable "Daiber" after Ome Daiber, one of their mentors. Mt Johannesburg they called "Ellsbeth" after Ome's first wife, who died in a plane crash. Ome remarried in the early 1940s and his widow Matie still lives in the Seattle area.

I believe the name Formidable was applied by Hermann Ulrichs before the peak was climbed, so Beckey and Co. retained it, since it came first. Johannesburg is an old mining name.

PONCHO&LEFTY said:

The other question with the name thing Muelefire Peak?

I remeber in one of Becky's books reading a description of a peak named after a climber and him calling it rare and can not for the life of me remember what mountain: any help?

Right. Muelefire was the peak I was thinking of, named after John and Irene Meulemans and Joe and Joan Firey. All but Joan are still living.

I think the other peak you're thinking of is Keyes in the Monte Cristo group. I forget the story behind that one.

Its rare to give a peak a name after a climber?

There was a climber who died on Mt. McKinley in 1995. The Washington Geographic people named a peak after him I believe in 1999. Where is this peak located? (Many of you might be surprised.) What is the name?

Lowell_Skoog said:

I think the other peak you're thinking of is Keyes in the Monte Cristo group. I forget the story behind that one.

Thank you I can sleep tonight.

MOX=Metal Oxide

Probably has nothing to do with the name Mox.

Hinkhouse peak near Ingalls Peak. Named after Jimmy Hinkhouse founder of a sobriety based mountaineering group who died on Denali in '95.

Edited by PONCHO&LEFTY

Lowell_Skoog said:

leejams said:

What about Mt. Berge? Was that the original name?

Nope. Was Mt. Berge named after the fellow who died on Mt. Baring? I don't have my Beckey books with me to check.

Here's a big hint on the first question. Both peaks were named by the Ptarmigan climbing club.

Pretty sure it was named after that fellow. Anyhow I think of that dude every time I pass under those peaks buck/berge. Pretty cool to have a peak named after you.