Chad Kellogg, Denali Speed Ascent

Hans_Blix

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's impressive. Gosh, I can't even imagine it with my lazy-ass sitting here typing away.

It would seem like one could shave a few more hours off the time by parapenting off the summit... I can't imagine the trip to the landing strip taking any longer than an hour, provided you don't crash and the winds don't take you to the North Pole.

I'll be up for when Chad himself posts this trip report (why do others report for these people?).

• 2 weeks later...

There are always complex qualifiers. Turns out that Anatoli's time is for the West Rib, as jjd reports. That would seem to mean from the base of the route to the summit. That's an entirely different, shorter and more direct trip than Chad's. SO, it still seems like Chad may have the fastest human time, both one way and round trip. Of course, other unknown details may exist out there.

let me get this straight, you are saying because anatoli took a shorter, more direct, more logical, and harder line, that his faster time does not count? confused.gifrolleyes.gif you sound like you are biased...are you SURE you aren't chad?

Hans_Blix said:

There are always complex qualifiers. Turns out that Anatoli's time is for the West Rib, as jjd reports. That would seem to mean from the base of the route to the summit. That's an entirely different, shorter and more direct trip than Chad's. SO, it still seems like Chad may have the fastest human time, both one way and round trip. Of course, other unknown details may exist out there.

wha? so you should take the longest line for a speed record? if i wantd to get a speed record on rainier shoudl i tak ethe tahoma glacier route? confused.gif

Hans Blix said:

"Chad Kellogg broke the previous speed record on Denali set by Alex Lowe. Alex's record is reported to be 18 1/2 hours (yet to confirm this, but the NPS reports this stat.) Chad went from base camp, to the summit in 14 hours, 22 minutes. He returned to base camp, round tripping the mountain in 23 hours, 55 minutes."

and:

"Check out: www.wwwright.com/climbing/speed/?record=alaska_climbs.htm"

So, just to clear a few things up -

The previous record of 18.5 hours airstrip-to-summit, was not set by Alex Lowe, but by some other dude, whose name I can't remember. When Alex Lowe made a speed-record attempt, he turned around in the vicinity of the Football Field because apparently it got really stormy. So, technically, Alex Lowe didn't make a speed ascent at all. However, from what I've heard - when he (Alex) turned around he was on pace to make the summit in 10 hours from the airstrip!

That link (wwwright.com) has some other misleading information as well. When Mugs soloed the Cassin, he took 27.5 hours roundtrip from the 14k camp. 15 hours was his time on the route itself.

Dru and Fencesitter,

The reason Anatoli's time cannot be compared to Chad's is because to get to the base of the West Rib you first have to "climb" the first 1/4 of the West Buttress route. It would be equivalent to someone claiming a speed ascent of Rainier, via the Gibraltar Chute, but starting their stopwatch at the top of the Muir Snowfield rather than at Paradise. Did that make sense?

Colin paints the picture better. Anatoli claimed the West Rib route, most folks start that route at the base of ridge, not the airstrip. Doing that eliminates a few miles of glacier travel and a few thousand feet of elevation gain. That's a big difference. You're right though, I don't know for sure where he did start the clock, but I have a feeling that he was hanging out at 14K and then descended to do the climb the Rib. Mug's did that too (but he skied the Lower West Rib to reach the Cassin.)

I'm not saying that the fastest time has to be run via ANY route in particular. But I have a feeling the fastest time from the airstrip to the summit is Chad's. Anyway, what constitutes the base of the mountain? Perhaps Cook Inlet in Anchorage? Or maybe Talkeetna.

Hey Dru, are you sure you're not Dan -? yellaf.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I found this on Mounteverest.net.

"Asia Tourism Ltd. is organizing the second international Festival ''Khan Tengri 2003.'' It will be held from July 17th to August 7th of 2003. The first festival was held in 2000. Part of this event is a speed climbing competition on Khan Tengri, 7010m.

Asia Tourism has sent ExplorersWeb the latest list of entrants that is current to June 9, 2003. Only one American, Chad Kellogg, will be participating in the international competition. Chad has the widely recognized speed record for Mt. Rainier, in Washington State, USA. "

Mounteverest.net also says,

"For all the Cascade Climber fans out there, Chad Kellog arrived in Base Camp today. Haven't spoken to him much yet, but he is currently the only American competitor in the speed climb event. He's up against a bunch of Russians and Kazakhs. Chad just broke the Denali speed record this past Spring, and has some other US speed records as well. Judging from the Russian and Kazakh climbers here, though, Kellog's got his work cut out for him. Go USA!"

Chad started from the Indian Ocean so that he could rightfully claim a "complete ascent." Dru, do you think they'll piss-test him like they do the Canadian climbers who spend too much at the Muir Hut. yellaf.gif No Dan or Fido - to be found in Khan Tengri. cry.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Race update from Mounteverest.net:

"There's about 9 athletes, all Russian/Kazakh with one American, Chad Kellogg, representing... Chad has some heavy competition with the home team advantage, but if you saw the way he has been running up this mountain, this guy has a good chance. It's not that he runs or even seems to move that quickly, it's just that he never stops - like a machine...Chad is strong and he'll have the one other American (me) plus a rowdy crew from Iceland cheering him on from BC, and two Britt's on the mountain. So, if the weather holds tomorrow morning, about 7 or 8 PM EST stay tuned to the web for as complete coverage as possible. It's a 7+ hour event. "

Go Chad Go! HCL.gif

THIS IS OFF MOUNTEVEREST.NET.

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/MissionaccomplishedAug12003.shtml

Mission accomplished

02:57 a.m. EDT Aug 1, 2003

Chad is back and Dave's mission is accomplished:

"Aug 1 - 1219 hrs - 1984 = 2003

Absolutely incredible. Chad was in second and caught up just near the bottom of the route to win. We had no idea until we saw his head pop up over the horizon. The Iceland boys were further out on the glacier to congratulate him as he came in.

A whole gang of Koreans came by and after cleaning out the camp store of titanium equipment became Chad's biggest fans. Autographs, pictures, posing, you name it. We're all just chillin' at the foot of the glacier waiting for 3,4,5 to come in. Stoked - all we have to say. Listen to the Kellog sound bite."

Audio

This event turned into an unexpected all-nighter at ExplorersWeb, updates twice hourly, the thrill close to the days of Everest summits when the team lost an average of 10 lbs each running between desktops to publish stories around the clock!

Congratulations Chad, and thank you Asia Tours from all of us at ExplorersWeb!

This is off another web site:

http://www.explorersweb.com/ex018/

Check out the sound clip. Again Chad, we're so, so proud of you. First Rainier, then Denali, now Khan Tengri!!! I'm sure we'll be reading more about Chad Kellogg.