Child Body Harness

kitten

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kitten...

How old is she?? BD sells sit harness for kids that you can combine w/ a chest harness if she's old enough. Trango sells full body harnesses as does Petzl... The vertical world carries them. And you can order them off the web from Barrabes.com

RuMR said:

Hey Kitten...

How old is she?? BD sells sit harness for kids that you can combine w/ a chest harness if she's old enough. Trango sells full body harnesses as does Petzl... The vertical world carries them. And you can order them off the web from Barrabes.com

She is only 3 1/2 years old and weighs about 33 pounds.

She is an 'itty- bitty' like her mom. I figure we can strap a few slings or something Jamn' recommends to keep her safe. We will only start on anything small and safe.

wave.gif

kitten said:

RuMR said:

Hey Kitten...

She is only 3 1/2 years old and weighs about 33 pounds.

She is an 'itty- bitty' like her mom. I figure we can strap a few slings or something Jamn' recommends to keep her safe. We will only start on anything small and safe.

wave.gif

Don't strap her up w/ slings, it'll be uncomfortable. Plus, kids have a weird center of gravity and these harnesses are designed for that...and they grow pretty well w/ the child, so they should last till they are big enough to get into a sit-harness. $30 to $40 is a small price to pay for her comfort (and yours).

my boy is about 30lbs flat and was born in august, so he's a little over 3 1/2. He really really digs it and climbs quite a bit in the gym...gets a quarter each time he tops out on a route, then hauls ass over to the Mike&Ike candy machine and collects his booty. Guess he's a sponsored climber now!!

RuMR said:

He's starting outside climbing this summer...GNS and stuff at Squamish.

To rap, i clip him into my harness and then rap down w/ him...Mom doesn't like this, but its safe and controlled.

I breath a little easier when my guys have a helmet on. Becuase kids have such a high center of gravity, it is easy for them to flip upsidedown when they fall ( or so I have been told) we often use the all purpose bicycle roller blade helmet. grin.gif

We should hook up w/ the kids!!!!!!! wave.gifwave.gif

There is a group of kid climbers all under 4 1/2 that usually meets at the seattle gym. Once summer rolls around, we all will probably be venturing outside as a group. wave.gif

It works well, cuz there's enough adults around to keep eyeballz on the kids and so everybody gets climbing.

One other thing...BUY A HELMET FOR HER. its easy for them to tumble at the cliff bases cuz of boulders and what not. and dropped gear or falling rox mean nothing to them. I bought Drew a hockey helmet, cuz it protects the back of his head better than i thought bike helmets did.

We got one of those body harnesses for the kid. It's confusing and we use it irregularly enough that I'm always taking forever to get the thing on my kid. It takes about 4 tries. I'm waiting for the first CC.com post from some witness who will report about me endangering my child taking him out climbing when I don't even know how to put on a harness.

I like the Mike and Ike bribe. That 'd work like a charm for my kids.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

RuMR said:

To rap, i clip him into my harness and then rap down w/ him...Mom doesn't like this, but its safe and controlled.

I breath a little easier when my guys have a helmet on. Becuase kids have such a high center of gravity, it is easy for them to flip upsidedown when they fall ( or so I have been told) we often use the all purpose bicycle roller blade helmet. grin.gif

Helmet's the ticket...the full body harness keeps drew pretty much upright. He also has the "walk your feet down the wall" thing down, so he doesn't scrape the wall as he lowers...

Hey Chuck...

The quarter ticket is the dealio! He can spend it on the spot or save it as he sees fit cuz he earned it! He usually blows a few of them right off and then wants some to put in his bank. So off he goes for some more laps!!! Man, i can't wait till he and his brother are like 11 and 9...its gonna kick some butt until they get tired of the old man slowing them down!!!!!

RuMR said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

RuMR said:

Helmet's the ticket...the full body harness keeps drew pretty much upright. He also has the "walk your feet down the wall" thing down, so he doesn't scrape the wall as he lowers...

Thing one and Thing two call that the L sit wink.gif we prctice at home to jog the memory. Ya the reason for the full body harness is to keep them upright... I don't think either of the boys have taken much of a fall. We have not tried bribing them to get them to climb higher. I figure if they want to climb, they will. If not... well no skin off my nose wink.gif

I save the bribing for the picking up of the room grin.gif

Old sneakers are adequate for now, she won't be doing anything radical (requiring sticky rubber) for a while. There are some kids rock shoes but, at the rate the feet are growing, I can't justify buying them.

You can get the resole kit's and put some sticky on the sole of the old sneakers as an alternative, but, like I said, unless the kid is really into it, plain old sneakers are fine for up to 5.6 or so.

Olivia and Meredith are 7 and 5. Besides starting fires at cc.com bbq's they can climb. Olivia started when she was 1.5. She did a hand traverse across the fireplace mantle to get the mask her big brother was keeping from her. She did her first 5.7 this spring. Meredith doesn't like the hights yet so her idea of climbing is to bounce around at about 4' off the deck. She has a blast. She is a gymnastics whiz so climbing will be easy for her when she gets over the hieght issue.

But the point is, I have always just tied harnesses on them using 1" tubular webbing and a few strands of chord to hold things together. It is good to look at a manufactured harness to see what they do.

I put a diaper harness on the bottom and a twisted sling over their arms with the twist in back. Tie a chord to the back of each leg loop and then tie it to the waist loop and then tie it to the bac of the chest harness and then tie them together so they stay in back. Then i girth hitch a loop through the front of the diaper sling and untie the knot so i can put an end through each side of the chest harness and loop it hrough twice to hold the chest harness together. Tie it off with a ring bend or water knot. Clip to the loop in the chest harness.

They have not complained yet. Except when we don't bring cookies. fruit.giffruit.gif