In Memory of Ryan Johnson

Blake

Ryan Johnson was a good man. I met and climbed with him many years ago in the Utah desert, then we carpooled back to the NW after a bunch of climbing,  racing back home in time for Thanksgiving in Washington. I remember we picked up another carpooler in Boise who we had found on Craigslist to split gas money, and the guy turned out to be an "adult model" photographer, with a variety of wild and crazy stories, though it was a relief when we dropped him off somewhere in Oregon... 

I remember how excited he was about the mountains around the Juneau Icefield and the Stikine area. It was because of his infectious psyche that I ended up making two trips to that region, and during one summer trip to the Mendenhall Towers, the weather was good enough for Ryan and a local friend to hire a helicopter ad come up and climb a route and camp alongside my partner and I.  I saw and chatted a little with Ryan in the past few years, but last spring he bought a copy of my guidebook. My wife was searching via instagram and came across one of Ryan's posts which he had labelled #CascadesRock.I'm glad he got a kick out of the mailbox that day.  I hope his collection of climbing guidebooks will go on to inspire someone else to great heights. I know the town and climber/skier community in Juneau will help nurture Ryan's young son Milo.

Ryan also used to post to Cascade Climbers under the name AKIceBum, but he stayed above the fray and didn't post a ton.Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 12.02.36 PM.png

Edited by Blake
  • Like 1

A Go-Fundme page for Ryan's family.  He survived by a young boy.

https://www.gofundme.com/ryanandmilo

The Ryan and Milo GoFundMe was originally developed to support: (1) Getting other alpinists with experience in the Mendenhalls up to assist with potential ground search, (2) Assist with defraying costs of privately funded heli hours for search, (3) Assist with Care/Life/College fund for Ryan's 2.5 year old son Milo in a worst case scenario.

As of Tuesday March 13th, this GoFundMe was updated to reflect the loss of Ryan and Marc, with priorities reflecting the original intention of the Ryan and Milo campaign in worst case scenario. 

Ryan was as equally passionate about family and fatherhood as he was about alpinism. 

Funds from this campaign will now go to: (1) Assist family and friends with closure and costs related to Ryan's passing, (2) Assist with Care/Life/College fund for Ryan's 2.5 year old son Milo who will be missing his father and father's emotional and financial support intensely.

Thank you for helping in whatever way you can. Your caring and contributions will truly make a difference in this difficult time.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

Samuel H Johnson - Seward, Alaska

A Friend and Alpine Climbing Partner of Ryan Johnson

These funds will go to support costs related to closure for the family (service/funeral) and to a financial trust to be used for costs related care and education of Milo, Ryan's 2.5 year old son in the absence of financial support from his father Ryan.

The administration of this campaign will be transferred to Ruth Johnson, Milo's grandmother who is working with attorneys and an investor to establish funds for Milo's care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, olyclimber said:

Ryan didn't share any TRs here, but he did have a pretty good contribution to the Random Climbing Partners thread (best of cc.com)....

And the entry right after Ryan's is from....Marc-Andre Leclerc. 

• 2 weeks later...