• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
bonathanjarrett

Water Filtration: is it necessary?

I still mostly don't treat my water.  I typically pack a couple liters from the car and by the time that is out I'm in the alpine and selectively choosing where I grab from. 

I don't think the risk is all that great, but then again you all haven't gotten giardia (twice !!).   My short memory is probably why I still enjoy thrashing around the North Cascades after 25 years of suffering.  And I love sparkles.

:moondance:

No, I do not filter water.

I do not own a water filter.

I have never filtered water.

I am in the outdoors about 30 days a year now.  I used to be out in the outdoors about 100 days a year.

I have never gotten sick.

I selectively choose where I get my water.  Do I get my water from:

Outlet of a high use lake: No

Downstream from a trail frequented by horses or humans: No

Non moving puddles/bogs:  No

Everything else where I get my water: Yes

I did my graduate school research and dissertation on waterborne pathogens (Giardia spp., Cryptosporidum parvum, and Fecal Coliform bacteria).  Every stream I tested had the protozoans, however, they were typically at concentrations far below what is necessary to cause an infection.  That said, if there were protozoans present, Fecal Coliform bacteria was typically in the millions of CFU per 100 ml.  One of the take aways is you are more likely to encounter bacteria than protozoans, which can still make you very, very sick. 

• Like 1

If you decide to fliter, a Geigerrig pressurized bladder with a filter, (I use a Sawyer) has an almost zero pentily in weight time and bulk.  System works good just lube the fittings with dielectric grease and an extra fitting just case one breaks. Time to fill bladder is exactly the same, time to drink the same, time to fill cook pot a bit more , extra weight only a few ozs. Extra bulk , about the size of a fist.

Dan

• Like 1