The Olympics this coming weekend?

AnthonyL

I think my wife and I are gonna roll the dice and go for some backcountry adventure on the peninsula.  Anyone have any recommendations for a fun trip? We have between Sat-Mon. 

Kinda thinkin Mt. Ellinor unless someone has a better suggestion!

Edited by AnthonyLubetski

I'm totally prepared to go above tree line or off trail. But my wife has been mighty sick since we moved to Washington, so she hasn't done any glacier travel yet. We will have to avoid glaciers for this outing.

With that being said, this is our first actual trip to the Olympics. We've driven through in a van and stayed once or twice, but we've never done any hiking or climbing on the peninsula, so anything is on the table! 

thanks for the suggestions!

Wow great timing I'm also visiting the area with my girlfriend this weekend for the first time and looking for backcountry adventure.  Oly, do you have any favorites above treeline?  I'm hoping avi conditions improve (NWAC is looking pretty grim for all of the cascades right now). 

I've always loved Marmot Pass,  Royal Basin,  Lake of the Angels to start with!  On the eastern or north eastern side, so quicker to get to from your neck of the woods.

Marmot Pass = Top of the Big Quilcene drainage

Royal Basin = Dungeness drainage....very beautiful area

Lake of the Angels = up the Putvin trail, and alway love a scramble up Mt Stone!

But yeah, I would stay away this weekend. These are right there though for you now that you live in the PNW.  And there are a lot more.  Heck, just a drive up to Hurricane Ridge is something you gotta put on your list!

If you love the ocean and want to stay out of the hills due to avie danger then I would recommend a hike to Toleak Point and camp there.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/toleak-point

Just hike in from Third Beach and back, not the through hike like the WTA page mentions.  I think you'd have to deal with crossing a really high creek or river if you did that...

I bet your other half would love that!  One of my favorite spots on the planet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, olyclimber said:

I've always loved Marmot Pass,  Royal Basin,  Lake of the Angels to start with!  On the eastern or north eastern side, so quicker to get to from your neck of the woods.

Marmot Pass = Top of the Big Quilcene drainage

Royal Basin = Dungeness drainage....very beautiful area

Lake of the Angels = up the Putvin trail, and alway love a scramble up Mt Stone!

But yeah, I would stay away this weekend. These are right there though for you now that you live in the PNW.  And there are a lot more.  Heck, just a drive up to Hurricane Ridge is something you gotta put on your list!

If you love the ocean and want to stay out of the hills due to avie danger then I would recommend a hike to Toleak Point and camp there.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/toleak-point

Just hike in from Third Beach and back, not the through hike like the WTA page mentions.  I think you'd have to deal with crossing a really high creek or river if you did that...

I bet your other half would love that!  One of my favorite spots on the planet.

Yup. We're gonna go to the Ocean on account of all the recent snow.

Thanks for all the intel!!

Edited by AnthonyLubetski