Sign in to follow this  
olyclimber

Oregon

them poor fellers are way too busy trying to figure out how a gas pump works :(

I've never understood the whole full serve thing in OR.  Seems beyond stupid.

Posted (edited)

It's simple. I'd rather sit in my warm, dry car and let someone pump my gas for me. What's there not to like?

Can you do that in Washington? Sure, if you can find a full-serve station when you want it. Good luck with that.

That's why I, and other Oregonians, have twice voted down self-serve in the state. The legislators snuck this one by without a vote.

Edited by pcg

Most folks seem to value low prices over sitting in the car.  Of course someday every car will have a robot assistant so you can relax and text, buy stocks, or post on Facebook.

18 hours ago, pcg said:

It's simple. I'd rather sit in my warm, dry car and let someone pump my gas for me. What's there not to like?

There's no choice in the matter.  I have no problem if you want to sit on your ass,  just don't require me to.  But then again, I tend to lean Libertarian. :poke:

Posted (edited)

I've been enjoying my guvernment-mandated luxury for so long that I didn't even realize I was missing freedom of choice!  Hmm, there has to be some subtle political truth buried here somewhere...

Edited by pcg

Honestly half the time down there I was annoyed, and half the time I enjoyed someone running around and pumping the gas for me.

It felt like a hold over from another era, an era that I'd probably rather live in.   But I  don't want America to be like that again.... I think I just want to time travel and live in my childhood when I didn't have grown up concerns.

9 hours ago, olyclimber said:

I think I just want to time travel and live in my childhood when I didn't have grown up concerns.

They have a magazine just for you!  (seriously, my grandma used to get this...)

501ae6c0a26406b72d5264bbc2c46cfd.jpg

I remember full serve stations in Washington.  They went bye bye in the 90s.

I hated having to worry about whether or not I'd be able to find a gas station that was open while driving around rural Oregon, but if it ever goes away I'll miss being able to use it as a quick and easy way to estimate the IQ of the person that I was talking to when I was in the state and the subject came up.