Port Angeles winter training/climbing community

Holly T

Hey All! I'm moving to the PA area this January and, of course, upon receiving the job offer, ferociously googled local climb-ability. I realize that it's winter so (dry rock) trips outdoors on the weekends are a no go for the time being and it seems like there aren't any gyms in the area. I lack the resources to invest in ice gear this winter and I'll be living in communal/rented housing thus don't have a great opportunity to build a woody. I'm psyched to be in the region for so many reasons and know that there is plenty of recreating to be done BUT worried about lack of local gym/climbing community. 
For those of you who live on the Olympic peninsula - what's it like? What do you do for training in the winter months (if you're not ice climbing)? maybe you would share your woodies and/or friendship with me?
Thanks for any input! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe you already know this, but PA has one of the only real crags on the whole OlyPen, the Elwha just east of town. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/111773559/elwha-river

Some of the climbs are a little overhanging so could be dry even when its wet...but its sandstone.

There are other places, but not very developed and pretty much all the rock on the peninsula, including the mountaineering/alpine climbs  is crap.  The best is down on the Eastside (Mt Cruiser).

There used to be a climbing gym at Olympic Mountaineering, but sadly both the business and the gym are gone (out of business). 

There may be a local climbing community, but in my opinion the PA crowd tended to be private and not outward...but I don't live there anymore so who knows what is like now.  If you can build a woody/garage gym you might be able to start your own community. 

One of the coolest parts of living in PA is the proximity of Hurricane Ridge!  Its a beautiful town, driving out on the hook and looking back at the town with the mountains as the backdrop is one of the coolest views anywhere. 

If I lived there (and sometimes I think about moving back) I would focus on mountaineering/hiking/scrambling/peak bagging  over pure rock climbing or trying to find climbable ice that is within reach.  Go cross country skiing up at Hurricane Ridge.  

You're moving to a beautiful place!

This is all great insight,  thank you! 
Bummer to about Olympic mountaineering business, it seems like a tricky bid in Port Angeles. Any chance you know if the folks who ran it are still around? I wondering if the gym is still up, just shuttered. 
Hurricane ridge looks beautiful, the town looks beautiful, it all looks beautiful. Cool to hear such positivity from a former local. Let me know if you end up moving back!
Thanks again! 

Check out the Olympic Peninsula Climbers Facebook page. It is a very friendly and open community of climbers locally. After the sun returns in the spring/summer/fall there is a weekly ropeup at either the Elwha Wall or Waka Beach --10 minutes from town. There is a small indoor wall at Sound Bike & Kayak downtown. Nearest real climbing gym is on Bainbridge Island. For the most part, rock on the Olympic Peninsula is manky. Fortunately Index and Leavenworth are a day's road trip away.

Waka Beach:

IMG_7541.JPG

I think the Sound bike & kayak Wall is actually the old Oly Mountaineering Wall. Looks like the business is in the same building. Probably not enough to keep your interest.

i won’t be moving back soon, but I have family there and in Beaver so I’m always out there.

sounds like that Facebook page is the ticket to other PA climbers!