• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jefetronic

[TR] New Zealand - Aoraki Mount Cook - Linda Glacier 12/07/2017

Trip: Aoraki Mount Cook - Linda Glacier

Trip Date: 12/07/2017

Trip Report:

For anyone interested, I recently traveled to New Zealand and successfully climbed Aoraki Mount Cook via the Linda Glacier, approaching from the valley floor via Ball Shelter and the Boys Glacier.  Trip report and photos here: https://www.jeffreyjhebert.com/adventures/linda-glacier-on-aoraki-mount-cook

Gear Notes:
Pickets, screws, nuts; 2 tools; crevasse rescue gear; 70m single line

Approach Notes:
Just about everyone takes a helicopter to Plateau Hut these days. We hiked in. Due to to glacial recession and erosion, it's unsavory and somewhat dangerous to do so.

DSC02797.jpg

Edited by jefetronic
Added New Zealand to the title
  • Snaffled 1
  • Rawk on! 1

Nice!  The hike in or out of Plateau is no joke.  I'm lucky my wife didn't divorce me on the spot.  Glad you ticked the summit, it's a proud peak!

Did you get to Aspiring?

Thanks!  We planned to climb Tasman while we were up on the Plateau, but the weather closed in after we climbed Cook and we heard from some guides that the route was out.  We also planned to do Aspiring later in the trip, but the weather stayed quite unsettled, so we drank wine and ate cheese near Wanaka and Queenstown instead.

Nice work, especially with the reconstructed knee! When we were at the Plateau Hut on Nov 24th, a group of Kiwi guides turned around on Tasman due to route conditions. They tried Dixon as well, but the soft snow and bergschrund stopped them.